Advice please (Slightly OT)

Old November 3rd 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

Default Advice please (Slightly OT)

Hi
I'm trying to work out how I would resolve this problem.
I'm looking to link up a third PC in my home to my ISDN connection.
I have the BT Home Highway USB (ISDN) installed at home with my main PC
linked to the main Home Highway box via the USB cable. I'ved then run a
Cat5 cable from one of the Digital sockets of the Home Highway box upstairs
to my second PC in one of the bedrooms which has an ISDN PCI Card.

I'm now looking to connect my third PC which has a similar ISDN PCI card.

The Cat5 cable for the second PC is running through the bedroom of the
third PC so I'm wondering if |I could 'T' off this cable. I do have RJ45
plugs and plenty of Cat5 cable. I don't know how to tackle this or what
components are needed if any.
Is there a junction type connector I must buy? If so where in the UK can I
purchase same.

TIA

George

Old November 3rd 03, 03:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Livewire

In article ,
says...
[...]

I would look seriously at ADSL if you can -- it's probably going to be
cheaper and faster. If you go that route, then you need cheap LAN cards
in your PCs plus an ADSL router/modem.This acts as a modem and also a
network hub, so site it beside your phone box and plug in normal Cat5
cables from your PCs. Then all your PCs will be networked too.
Old November 3rd 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
shope

"George" wrote in message
[...]

You should be able to "T" into the ISDN cable - but i have never seen this
done. Even if you get this set up, there are only 2 ISDN channels on the
line, so there will be contention with 3 PCs dialling, and sometimes you
will not get a link.

As an alternative it may be better to set up a local LAN, and arrange shared
access to the ISDN account.

use the Cat 5 for Ethernet and set 1 PC up as an ICS router, or use a
separate ISDN router. That way you can do local file share. Also, stat
muxing of the isdN link is likely to give faster apparent access if you can
get both channels running as a shared set.

you can get dual channel ISDN dial up from some ISPs - 1 set up a Netgear
ISDN router a couple of years back to use Vispa

TIA

George

--
Regards

Old November 3rd 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:19:04 -0000, "George"
wrote:

I'm trying to work out how I would resolve this problem.
I'm looking to link up a third PC in my home to my ISDN connection.

http://www.isdnshop.co.uk/acc.html should have the bits.

ISDN is a bus so parallel connection should be fine, subject to
distance and resistor issues.
http://www.mckerracher.org/isdn/index.html should also help.

A LAN would appear to be worth considering, as you could have all
three PCs using one channel ISDN access to the internet if you wanted.
With your approach of 3 ISDN connections only two machines can access
the internet at once and then only by using both channels.

Phil
Old November 3rd 03, 06:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
I would like to add that ASDL will not be available in my area for quite
sometime and that I would never have more than one PC accessing the internet
at anyone time. As for channel bonding I would n't be using that either.
Is there an adapter that I can purchase to 'T' off the Cat5?

Many thanks for the replies..

Regards

George

Old November 4th 03, 07:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AWM

"George" wrote in message
[...]

At least couple of way to do it but you need to set a TCP/IP network using
a hub to do it properly. A 4 or 5 port hub or switch should cost less than
20 pouds, you will also need an ethernet card for each PC (I sugest the
Realtek RL8139 PCI card for desktop machines -- its very cheap network card
and suitable for homes use)
Either set one pc up as a proxy server or use an ISDN 1 port Router (cost
about 110 pounds from http://pless.co.uk).
If you don't buy the router but use one PC as a proxy server I don't
recommend you use Microsoft ICS but use other proxy software such as
Freeproxy or Lansuite 602.

Of course this all assumes you have an ISP that use standard connection
software --- not AOL.

This would mean
An