Absolute newbie.

Old November 3rd 03, 04:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tyrant

Default Absolute newbie.

I have Broadband, thru NTL . My PC is linked Via the TV set top box for my
broadband, with a RJ45 cable, and an ethernet card.

I have now bought a PC for my daughter, and I would like her PC also to be
linked to the internet. Her room is far away from the set top box, so I am
looking for a wireless system to link up our PC's , possibly she can then
use my printer, and have broadband herself.

What limitations will this have on my Broadband connection, I am on 512kb
option. ????????????
and What equipment will I need to set up this kind of network. If you could
post a link so I can see what the equipment is... ?????????

Many thanks peeps if you can help me..

Rgds
Neil

Old November 3rd 03, 04:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tyrant

When I say she is far away.. She is in the room above, its just that I cant
be bothered using a cable. Wireless for me ..

Old November 3rd 03, 05:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin P Matthews

In article ,
says...

"Tyrant" wrote in message
I have Broadband, thru NTL . My PC is linked Via the TV set top box for my
broadband, with a RJ45 cable, and an ethernet card.

I have now bought a PC for my daughter, and I would like her PC also to be
linked to the internet. Her room is far away from the set top box, so I am
looking for a wireless system to link up our PC's , possibly she can then
use my printer, and have broadband herself.

What limitations will this have on my Broadband connection, I am on 512kb
option. ????????????
and What equipment will I need to set up this kind of network. If you

could
post a link so I can see what the equipment is... ?????????

Many thanks peeps if you can help me..

Rgds
Neil

The room above should be OK as you will have no nasty reinforced
concrete walls in the way. Basically any wireless system will do the
job. Unfortunately I do not know anything about the NTL set top box but
for ADSL you would just need to add a wireless acces point which you
would connect to the set top box/adsl "modem". You would also need twp
wireless PCI cards to connect the two PCs to the WAP.

This wireless router is from a company who seem to come up with working
products most of the time and is what I would order. Never used it
though:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?
action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48 546

You may need to post that link by copying and pasting in two parts.
This card should do the job as well:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?
action=c2VsZWN0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=&product_ui d=43218

Don't worry about speed as the slowest wireless should be 10 times as
fast as the cable. Perhaps someone can comment if this setup would work
with NTL.