Using (sharing) ADSL connection between MAC and PC

Old November 4th 03, 10:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nick

Default Using (sharing) ADSL connection between MAC and PC

Hi guys I have a bit of a problem

I wast to set up an ADSL connection in my house for 3 of us to use.
One of the people has a MAC.

Because I really don't know much about MAC connectivity, would there
be a problem if I just plug the MAC into the router? Would I need to
install any additional software on the MAC?

Also, in terms of sharing the ADSL connection on the LAN, can I just
plug the adsl modem in a normal router as if it were a normal
connection or do I have to get a ADSL modem with built in router?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Nick
Old November 4th 03, 11:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor Turton

In article , nc300
@imperial.ac.uk says...
Hi guys I have a bit of a problem

I wast to set up an ADSL connection in my house for 3 of us to use.
One of the people has a MAC.

Because I really don't know much about MAC connectivity, would there
be a problem if I just plug the MAC into the router? Would I need to
install any additional software on the MAC?

Also, in terms of sharing the ADSL connection on the LAN, can I just
plug the adsl modem in a normal router as if it were a normal
connection or do I have to get a ADSL modem with built in router?

Thank you very much for your help!!

You can only plug the ADSL modem into the router if it has a RJ45 port.
You've correctly guessed that you simply have to plug the Mac into the
router. Better if the router is set as a DHCP server so it assigns IP
addresses etc.

An ADSL modem router makes things even easier but if you've the kit
already you might as well use that.

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.