XP Home Network Through A Router - Advice Needed On Setup

Old November 4th 03, 05:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dan Ricketts

Default XP Home Network Through A Router - Advice Needed On Setup

Hi All,

I am looking to share files between 2 machines connected via a router, but
have absolutely no idea how to go about this. The setup is as follows:

Linksys router connected to NTL set-top box.

One XP Home machine with a single NIC connected to the Linksys router,

One XP Pro machine with 2 NIC's, One of which is connected to the linksys
router, the other connected to,

One Windows 98 (OSR1) machine with a single NIC.

One Windows 98 (OSR1) machine with a single NIC, connected to the linksys
router and acting as a web server.

Now both XP boxes and the server can connect to the internet no problems
(the other 98 machine doesn't need internet access), but I now want to share
files between both XP boxes. Printer sharing is not required.

I was thinking of perhaps mapping a folder on each computer where files to
be shared could be placed (I don't really want the other machine to have
access to all of my files though, only those in the specified folder - is
this possible?)

Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I've google'd for
information but most of what I can find doesn't make much sense to me (I'm
still a bit of a 'networking virgin' I'm afraid!)

Many Thanks

Dan Ricketts