Belkin Peer to Peer Botch..

Old November 4th 03, 06:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

Default Belkin Peer to Peer Botch..

I am going around in circles trying to share an NTL connection between 2 PC
's ( XP pro and home versions) using 2 wireless Belkin 54g PCI cards.

I've set the network up before and had it working but now one of the PC's
has been replaced (the internet connected one, which is once again connected
to the net) and now no matter what I try, the stupid thing won't work...

Could somebody please point this half witted, half worn-out would be fixer
in the right direction, maybe with a brief run through of what I need to do
to get things connected.

Incidentally, I can ping each machine with the loopback IP address. I have
an "excellent" signal on both machines but can't ping the other machine..

Derek

Old November 4th 03, 06:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul Brewer

Derek wrote:

I am going around in circles trying to share an NTL connection
between 2 PC 's ( XP pro and home versions) using 2 wireless Belkin
54g PCI cards.

I've set the network up before and had it working but now one of the
PC's has been replaced (the internet connected one, which is once
again connected to the net) and now no matter what I try, the stupid
thing won't work...

Could somebody please point this half witted, half worn-out would be
fixer in the right direction, maybe with a brief run through of what
I need to do to get things connected.

Incidentally, I can ping each machine with the loopback IP address. I
have an "excellent" signal on both machines but can't ping the other
machine..

Derek

I had a similar problem with Belkin wireless cards on a mate's new pc.
Eventually solved the problem, after a couple of hours talking to
Belkin's tech support. Try the following:

Download the latest drivers from Belkin's website and install them.
Check that the cards are correctly identified in hardware properties as
Belkin... in my case the one in the XP machine was incorrectly
identified as an EZ-card, for some strange reason.

Check that you are using them in ad-hoc mode

Check that each card is not shown as disabled in hardware properties

Check that both cards have the same CSSID... Belkin supplied me with a
utility which enables you to check this, have a chat with their tech
support and they'll point you to it.

HTH

--
Paul-B Reply-to address is spamtrap... use paul @ streetka dot biz
without the spaces
Old November 4th 03, 08:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

This sounds useful.. I've downloaded the latest drivers and will try all
these things in the morning..

Does ICS need to be used? I have been using it (assuming that the Belkin
software was only for connection the PC's) but should I be ignoring this?

Thanks for the advice..

Derek