Wireless Seems Slow !

Old November 5th 03, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Tom

Default Wireless Seems Slow !

New Belkin 54g PCMCIA Card & 54g Access Point.

transfering 2.5GB File from pc to laptop took 18Mins.

Throughput is measured @ 20MB is that right ?

I thought with 54g I should get faster !!

Thanks
Old November 5th 03, 04:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Michel Jacobs

did you download the latest drivers from belkin? I just bought a 54 Mb
pcmcia card myself and the driver on cd is not capable of connecting to my g
standard access point. I downloaded the latest software and then and only
then did the card establish a 54 Mb connection
"Tom (Tom)" schreef in bericht

Old November 5th 03, 05:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:45:34 +0000 (UTC), Tom
(Tom) wrote:

New Belkin 54g PCMCIA Card & 54g Access Point.

transfering 2.5GB File from pc to laptop took 18Mins.

Throughput is measured @ 20MB is that right ?

I thought with 54g I should get faster !!

Main thing I have noticed so far with my WiFi (Netgear 802.11g) is
that it does ** not ** do what it says on the tin.

I think the 54mbps is very optimistic.

I've had my AP and two adapter cards all within feet of each other and
got nowhere near 54mbps.

Geoff Lane

Old November 5th 03, 05:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Peter Cross

Latest drivers
http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=

Latest firmware.
http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=

Belkin 54g Access Point is on the table next to the laptop !! Less than 3
foot apart

According to the Belkin software, the connection is @ 54MB and is
Excellent..

The access point is set @
54G-ONLY
Turbo Mode ON
Protected Mode OFF

The Belkin PCMCIA 54g Card is set @
54g-Performance
Protected Modem AUTO

I have 128-Bit WEP Enabled..

Is this correct, how do I get the best out of them..

Many Thanks

Tom

Old November 5th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
in2minds

Main thing I have noticed so far with my WiFi (Netgear 802.11g) is
that it does ** not ** do what it says on the tin.

you aint kidding...

I have USR 22mbps kit and get nowhere near that rate, more like 8mbps
even at close range (1m).
a 644mb file took just over 10minutes to transfer

Les

Old November 6th 03, 08:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Robee

802.11b - max 550 kilobytes peer second
802.11g - max 2 megabytes peer second

tested with Windows Commander

--
robee

Old November 6th 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Tom

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:39:14 +0100, "Robee" wrote:

802.11b - max 550 kilobytes peer second
802.11g - max 2 megabytes peer second

tested with Windows Commander

I've just tried copying the same 2.5G file from my PC to my server, using
CAT5 not wireless.

That's averaging 24 / 25 Mbits

Not much difference between that and the wireless. The wireless was about
20Mbits

I'm using an ADSL Router with built in 4 port 10/100 switch to connect 3
PC's via CAT5 and have the belkin access point connected to this also.

Thanks for all the help and advice !

Old November 6th 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:57:21 -0000, Martin P Matthews
wrote:

Is this correct, how do I get the best out of them..

I think you probably have the best you'll get.

I have an 802.11b setup (does "a" as well but I haven't tested that for
speed) which reports a 22 Mbps connection turbo mode). It took 33
seconds to transfer 20 MB. Unless my math is mixed up that's 0.6 MB per
second which is a quarter of what you were getting.

That's about 6mbps.

That's regardless
of range (2 feet or 20 feet and two concrete walls) or signal strength
(from very good to very low as XP so helpfully reports).

That is what I find, what's all this about automatic fall back?

Geoff Lane