Help connecting two pc's via ethernet

Old November 5th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
pgnl

Default Help connecting two pc's via ethernet

I am networking newbie so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to
connect two PC's using a Cat 5e crossover cable. The first PC has two
network cards (and Windows ME) the first one for my cable modem and the
second to connect to the second PC (which has Windows XP). The idea being I
want to use the fast connection to transfer data from one machine to another
(I thought this would be better than using a parallel connection or CDR, I
am beginning to wonder now though)

I have run the home networking wizards and followed the instructions and I
can now browse internet on both machines (!) but am still unable to share
files. I have File and Print sharing enabled on both and have enabled
sharing on the the relevant folders. All to no avail where am I going wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Patrick
UK

Old November 5th 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:31:30 -0000, "pgnl"
wrote:

[...]

you need to select which folders to share, find a folder you want to
share right click on it and look for the sharing tab, select this then
set the folder to be shared, it will then show up with a hand under it
, do a folder on each machine then have a look

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz ---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

http://www.davessite.co.uk
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Old November 6th 03, 01:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Roly

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:31:30 -0000, "pgnl"
wrote:

snip.

Are you logging in on both machines? With a password?

Andy.

Old November 6th 03, 08:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AWM

wrote:

snip.

Are you logging in on both machines? With a password?

Andy.

The user and password should exist on both PCs

Old November 6th 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
pgnl

I have now done that (set user names and passwords for the logon) and
enabled more folders. Still not working.

Still no luck... Could be something to do with having two network cards in
the PC and the IP addresses?

Patrick

Old November 6th 03, 05:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
pgnl

wrote:

snip.

Are you logging in on both machines? With a password?

Andy.

The user and password should exist on both PCs

Can't even get direct cable connection to work, this used to be a relatively
simple process with Win98 and WinME...

Hell this is frustrating....

Patrick