Ethernet Bridge

Old November 6th 03, 11:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Ethernet Bridge

Netgear market two products that to me appear very similar.

1. WGE101 is marketed as an Ethernet Bridge
2. WG602 is a 54Mbps Access Point.

I am fairly new to wireless networking but on viewing the data sheets
for both I cannot really see too much difference between them other
than the Ethernet Bridge is promoted as having better range.

Am I on the wrong track - are they completely different?

Geoff Lane

Old November 23rd 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steevo

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news
Netgear market two products that to me appear very similar.

1. WGE101 is marketed as an Ethernet Bridge
2. WG602 is a 54Mbps Access Point.

I am fairly new to wireless networking but on viewing the data sheets
for both I cannot really see too much difference between them other
than the Ethernet Bridge is promoted as having better range.

Am I on the wrong track - are they completely different?

Geoff Lane

Well Geoff, have just had a look and as far as I can work out the only major
difference is that the WGE101 supports 802.11b as well as 802.11g whereas
the WG602 only supports the latter. Seems strange to market one as a
wireless to ethernet bridge and the other as an access point.

Hope this helps!

Old November 24th 03, 01:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vince

"Steevo" wrote in message ...
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news
Netgear market two products that to me appear very similar.

1. WGE101 is marketed as an Ethernet Bridge
2. WG602 is a 54Mbps Access Point.

I am fairly new to wireless networking but on viewing the data sheets
for both I cannot really see too much difference between them other
than the Ethernet Bridge is promoted as having better range.

Am I on the wrong track - are they completely different?

Geoff Lane

Well Geoff, have just had a look and as far as I can work out the only major
difference is that the WGE101 supports 802.11b as well as 802.11g whereas
the WG602 only supports the latter. Seems strange to market one as a
wireless to ethernet bridge and the other as an access point.

Hope this helps!

802.11g is a backwards compatable standard. If you get "g", you also
get "b". (in the same way that USB2 includes USB1, etc.)

Vince.