Cable Routing

Old November 6th 03, 11:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

Default Cable Routing

Is there any disadvantage to routing CAT 5e UTP alongside a shower cable
(rated at 20amp I think) for a 5 or 6 metre stretch?

For me that would be the easiest option but would obviously try and avoid it
if it was really detrimental to the performance.

cheers

Steven.

Old November 6th 03, 11:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Steven Campbell wrote:
Is there any disadvantage to routing CAT 5e UTP alongside a shower cable
(rated at 20amp I think) for a 5 or 6 metre stretch?

Yes.
Old November 7th 03, 03:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cyberdog

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:30:12 -0000, "Steven Campbell"
wrote:

Is there any disadvantage to routing CAT 5e UTP alongside a shower cable
(rated at 20amp I think) for a 5 or 6 metre stretch?

For me that would be the easiest option but would obviously try and avoid it
if it was really detrimental to the performance.

It should be at least 12 inches away from any mains cable.
Old November 7th 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

wrote:

Is there any disadvantage to routing CAT 5e UTP alongside a shower cable
(rated at 20amp I think) for a 5 or 6 metre stretch?

For me that would be the easiest option but would obviously try and avoid

it
if it was really detrimental to the performance.

It should be at least 12 inches away from any mains cable.

Running alongside Satellite cable ok?
Crossing over mains cable ok?

cheers

Steven

Old November 7th 03, 05:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Steven Campbell said this...

Running alongside Satellite cable ok?
Crossing over mains cable ok?

My home network crosses a couple of mains cables and I've had no problems.

--
~ dvd ~

Old November 8th 03, 02:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Cyberdog wrote in
:

It should be at least 12 inches away from any mains cable.

Why?

--
BRG
===
Old November 8th 03, 02:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

BRG wrote:
Cyberdog wrote in
:

It should be at least 12 inches away from any mains cable.

Why?

Because otherwise it won't work so well.
Old November 8th 03, 02:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Rob Morley wrote in
.com:

BRG wrote:
Cyberdog wrote in
:

It should be at least 12 inches away from any mains cable.

Why?

Because otherwise it won't work so well.

OK. But why?

--
BRG
===
Old November 8th 03, 03:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

BRG wrote:
Rob Morley wrote in
.com:

BRG wrote:
Cyberdog wrote in
:

It should be at least 12 inches away from any mains cable.

Why?

Because otherwise it won't work so well.

OK. But why?

The perceived wisdom is that voltage spikes caused by switching a power
connection can interfere with the ethernet signal, but I just found
something that suggests that this effect is negligible:

http://www.wiremold.com/www/commerci...ex.asp?wpid=11

Old November 8th 03, 03:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

Rob Morley wrote in
.com:

BRG wrote:
Rob Morley wrote in
.com:

BRG wrote:
Cyberdog wrote in
:

It should be at least 12 inches away from any mains cable.

Why?

Because otherwise it won't work so well.

OK. But why?

The perceived wisdom is that voltage spikes caused by switching
a power connection can interfere with the ethernet signal, but I
just found something that suggests that this effect is
negligible:

http://www.wiremold.com/www/commerci...ers/index.asp?
wpid=11

Interesting. I've always struggled to understand how 50Hz+spikes
would have a significant interference effect on twisted pair (=
high common-mode interference rejection) cable carrying Ethernet (=
10MHz or higher).

I can accept that data and power cabling should be separated from
an electrical safety perspective - to reduce the probability of the
meltdown of a power cable feeding mains up your LAN or phone or
whatever.

--
BRG
===