win2k home network basic question

Old November 7th 03, 09:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stef

Default win2k home network basic question

im trying to creat a very simple home network by hooking up 2 pc's
with a cross over cable. ive named both computers and assigned the
same workgroup name on both pc's. purpose is to only access files, no
printer sharing or anything else needed

the computers find eachother: "computers near me" displays the names
of itself and the other pc (stef & sophie).

however when i try to access the other computer it asks me "incorect
password or unknown username for //Sophie connect as: password:"
screenshot is he http://www.sk-audio.org/eye/scrnshot.gif

passwors arent necessary for me, so does anyone know how i get passed
this?

WIN2K PRO on both machines. "stef" is running norton personal firewall
which i disable but makes no difference

many thanks and have a nice day

stefan
Old November 8th 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin P Matthews

In article ,
says...
im trying to creat a very simple home network by hooking up 2 pc's
with a cross over cable. ive named both computers and assigned the
same workgroup name on both pc's. purpose is to only access files, no
printer sharing or anything else needed

the computers find eachother: "computers near me" displays the names
of itself and the other pc (stef & sophie).

however when i try to access the other computer it asks me "incorect
password or unknown username for //Sophie connect as: password:"
screenshot is he
http://www.sk-audio.org/eye/scrnshot.gif

passwors arent necessary for me, so does anyone know how i get passed
this?

WIN2K PRO on both machines. "stef" is running norton personal firewall
which i disable but makes no difference

many thanks and have a nice day

stefan

Windows can use two different ways of identifying users and Windows 2000
uses the more secure way of only allowing access to authorised users.
This applies whether the user is sat in front of the PC or connecting
over a network. You will need to create a user on each PC which matches
the one on the other PC (create the user on stef on sophie and vice
versa). Then when you share a folder make sure that the permissions are
set as well (the next tab in the dialogue). The fact that you do not
need to use a password to log in is a red herring caused by Windows 2000
being told to assume that a particular user is logged on all the time
(go to Users and Passwords in Control Panel for all this).
Old November 8th 03, 01:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
says...
im trying to creat a very simple home network by hooking up 2 pc's
with a cross over cable. ive named both computers and assigned the
same workgroup name on both pc's. purpose is to only access files, no
printer sharing or anything else needed

the computers find eachother: "computers near me" displays the names
of itself and the other pc (stef & sophie).

however when i try to access the other computer it asks me "incorect
password or unknown username for //Sophie connect as: password:"
screenshot is he
http://www.sk-audio.org/eye/scrnshot.gif

passwors arent necessary for me, so does anyone know how i get passed
this?

Set up a user account on Sophie using the logon/pass for Stef. Repeat
on Stef, using logon/user for Sophie.

It's all about Permissions..

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old November 11th 03, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

In message , Conor
writes
In article ,
says...
im trying to creat a very simple home network by hooking up 2 pc's
with a cross over cable. ive named both computers and assigned the
same workgroup name on both pc's. purpose is to only access files, no
printer sharing or anything else needed

the computers find eachother: "computers near me" displays the names
of itself and the other pc (stef & sophie).

however when i try to access the other computer it asks me "incorect
password or unknown username for //Sophie connect as: password:"
screenshot is he http://www.sk-audio.org/eye/scrnshot.gif

passwors arent necessary for me, so does anyone know how i get passed
this?

Set up a user account on Sophie using the logon/pass for Stef. Repeat
on Stef, using logon/user for Sophie.

It's all about Permissions..

I was just abut to ask the same question (just shows it pay to read
BEFORE you post )

Is this the same reason I get 'can't find network path' even though I
can the other machine in the 'network places' window ?

--
Steve
Old November 11th 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

In message , Steve
writes
In message , Conor
writes
In article ,
says...
[...]

OK, tried this machine 2 can now read from machine one, but one can't
read from 2 ??? All I get is 'The network path was not found' Anyone
tell me where I'm going wrong ?
--
Steve