How to install network cables for a home network

Old November 7th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Claude Matroy

Default How to install network cables for a home network

hi
I am building a new house
and I would like to install cables for my home networking from room to room
I have 5 computers running xp
Can anyone advise me how????

Old November 8th 03, 05:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
leo

In message , Claude Matroy
writes
hi
I am building a new house
and I would like to install cables for my home networking from room to room
I have 5 computers running xp
Can anyone advise me how????

I run mine under the carpet by the wall, or if necessary through the
roof space. How far apart are your PCs and what sort of floors do you
have?

--
leo
Old November 8th 03, 09:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 08:31:45 +1100, Claude Matroy wrote:

hi
I am building a new house
and I would like to install cables for my home networking from room to
room I have 5 computers running xp
Can anyone advise me how????

You need to plan your network, and then anticipate future expansion.
Work out where you want your network hub then run cat 5 cables from the
hub location to all the points where your computers are going to be
located.

You may wish to terminate your cables on wall mounted rg45 sockets. Also
plan for ADSL/cable or phone for internet connectivity. If you are running
in cables while the house is being built, run in lots of cables all over
the place. You can leave them coiled up under the floor for future use.
Consider extra cat 5 cables for printers, wireless access points, video
games, DVD players, security cameras, alarm systems etc. Over the next few
years even the fridge will connect to a LAN!

If anyone suggests a radio LAN, they are talking rubbish. Don't listen!
Five computes all with wireless LAN cards talking at the same time will
limit the bandwidth too much.

graham

Old November 11th 03, 11:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Stavros wrote:
A basic stacture that warkis is to make a star topology having all cables to
arrive in a central point in your cellar.

.... or the hall cupboard - easier to cable both upstairs and downstairs
from there.

Overthere you can put a patch pannel where you can manage all your cabling.
Is not bad idea to leave empty tubes in the wall for further expancions and
further requirements.

Don't leave them empty - run some spare Cat5e, or at least some string to
make pulling easier.