Router question.

Old November 8th 03, 10:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Malcolm Parfit

Default Router question.

I have two machines which access the net and eachother via a Dlink DI-304
router.

My ISP is Virgin accessed via Home Highway.

Sometimes when I boot my main machine I am unable to access the net. I
cannot collect mail or browse the net. When this happens I can access the
configuration of the router using IE and looking at the status page it says
that B1 is connected to Virgin with an IP assigned to it via the ISP. The
TX and RX rates are changing so I assume that the router is connected.

I can access the other machine connected wirelessly to the router via an
Actiontec wireless access point, but internet connectivity is not possible
on all machines.

This also happens when only one machine is attached to the router.

I have tried changing the access number used to dial Virgin but this does
not help.

If I get the router to drop B1 leave it for a couple of seconds and get my
machine to ask the router to dial out by pinging a site for example internet
connectivity is restored.

On the occasions when internet connectivity fails the router says that the
trigger packet came from 192.168.0.101 which is the address of my main
machine. 192.168.0.100 being the address of an Actiontec wireless access
point 192.168.0.102 is the IP assigned to my Toshiba laptop: When I remove
this access point and the portable the problem still persists.

This is an intermittent fault. I have checked with BT but they say the line
is fine.

The router recognises the IP settings and so on assigned by the DHCP server.

Any thoughts welcome.

Old November 8th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 10:41:51 +0000, Malcolm Parfit wrote:

[...]

You need to check a couple of things:
1. The default gateway setting on both your PCs need to be set to the
routers ip address.
2. The DNS address needs to be set to point to your ISP's DNS server, or
the router's ip address if the router is set to proxy for DNS.

If you are using DHCP (automatic ip address allocation) from either the
router or one of your machines, you need to configure the DHCP service to
feed out to your network the above two settings.

If you are using DHCP and haven't a clue where the automatic addresses are
comming from, allocate your own static address scheme. Because depending
on what order you power up your equipment on your network will determine
wheather it works or not.

graham

Old November 8th 03, 09:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Malcolm Parfit

Hi

Using ipconfig both the portable and desktop confirm that the default
gateway is 192.168.0.1 the address of the router.

All devices attached to the router have their settings defined by the DHCP
server in the router.

The wireless gateway has 192.168.0.100
The desktop has 192.168.0.101
and the portable 192.168.0.102
The loss of internet connectivity is rather a strange issue.

All machines can talk to eachother I have no problem there. File and
printer sharing work fine.

If, for example I boot the desktop and I can't connect to any outside site,
I get the router to drop B1 and then cause it to dial out again I can
connect to the outside world then.

However when the machine can't access the net the router says that it has an
IP address assigned to it by Virgin and the RX and TX values are changing
which I assume means traffic is flowing between Virgin and the router.

news

Old November 9th 03, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Hmmm,

OK a bit of diagnostic pinging might reveal something here.
You can ping between the two machines, you said earlier. Try pinging
the routers internal address, 192.168.0.1. That should be OK.
Then ping the routers external address, this is the one that is
allocated by Virgin's DHCP. If that works ping the first external
network element. If that is OK try pinging an external site Eg.
www.bbc.co.uk, this will test the DNS settings and resolve the ip
address for the bbc's site.

I suggest you do this while the connection is working to start with
and get a feel for how it all works. You can get an external network
element address by using the traceroute command (TRACERT.EXE). Then
do it again under network fault conditions to identify the point of
failure.

graham

Old November 9th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Malcolm Parfit

Hi

Firstly thanks for your help so far.

I just had a dial attempt that failed so I tried the following.

Firstly I can ping the router and that works fine.

I can also ping all machines connected to the router.

I can ping 81.101.66.85 which is the IP allocated to me by Virgin.

Now for the strange bit.

I can ping the BBC.

I can't ping any other site!

I tried tracert to the BBC with the following results:

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.113]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 6 ms 1 ms 1 ms my.router [192.168.0.1]

2 43 ms 45 ms 47 ms client-gw-p-2-lns.glfd.dial.virgin.net
[81.101.71.254]

3 45 ms 46 ms 44 ms gfd-dc-d-v453.inet.ntl.com [62.253.170.13]

4 47 ms 46 ms 44 ms gfd-bb-b-ge-220-0.inet.ntl.com
[213.105.172.158]

5 49 ms 46 ms 47 ms tele-ic-2-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com
[62.253.185.74]

6 48 ms 47 ms 47 ms 212.58.239.217

7 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms www.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.113]

Trace complete.

Next I tried the same thing on www.ebuyer.com the results we

Tracing route to www.ebuyer.com [213.232.80.131]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 6 ms 1 ms 1 ms my.router [192.168.0.1]

2 45 ms 43 ms 44 ms client-gw-p-2-lns.glfd.dial.virgin.net
[81.101.71.254]

3 48 ms 47 ms 47 ms gfd-dc-d-v453.inet.ntl.com [62.253.170.13]

4 47 ms 44 ms 47 ms gfd-bb-b-ge-221-0.inet.ntl.com
[213.105.172.182]

5 47 ms 47 ms 50 ms bre-bb-a-so-000-0.inet.ntl.com
[213.105.172.149]

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 * * * Request timed out.

8 * * * Request timed out.

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Before I could complete a trace to ebuyer, which is why I tried it this
time.
Any thoughts and advice welcome.

Malcolm
news

Old November 10th 03, 09:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

"Graham" wrote in message
news
Hmmm,

OK a bit of diagnostic pinging might reveal something here. You can ping
between the two machines, you said earlier. Try pinging the routers
internal address, 192.168.0.1. That should be OK. Then ping the routers
external address, this is the one that is allocated by Virgin's DHCP. If
that works ping the first external network element. If that is OK try
pinging an external site Eg. www.bbc.co.uk, this will test the DNS
settings and resolve the ip address for the bbc's site.

I suggest you do this while the connection is working to start with and
get a feel for how it all works. You can get an external network element
address by using the traceroute command (TRACERT.EXE). Then do it again
under network fault conditions to identify the point of failure.

graham

Unfortunately not all sites return a ping, I know the BBC does that's
why I suggested it. Ebuyer does actually reply to a ping from here
I'm on demon. A recent virus/worm attack (not sure which one) caused
a lot of network traffic by pinging all over the place so some ISP's
blocked ping requests on their networks, Demon did this, but have
now restored the service. Some ISP's may still be blocking them, it
may be done in such a way that some sites are reachable and others
aren't. As traceroute uses pings this can be affected also. So ping
is not as useful as it could be.

Anyway looking at your traces: Both the BBC and Ebuyer correctly
resolve their ip addresses, this means your DNS settings are fine.
Were these tests carried out under fault conditions? If so it looks
like your browser is misconfigured or faulty.

graham

Old November 11th 03, 09:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Malcolm Parfit

Yes these tests were conducted under fault conditions.

All worked fine until about 9.30 lastnight when the exact symptoms were
experienced.

When this fault reoccurred lastnight I tried pinging a site that the
router's DNS proxy had not cached and under fault conditions it could not be
resolved.

I can ping and trace www.ebuyer this morning.

This is a strange one!
news