Networking with BT Broadband

Old November 8th 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
abaapis

Default Networking with BT Broadband

Hi,

I know many similar questions have been asked regarding this so I hope that
you don't mind me asking another

We have BT Broadband (just installed) and its working great. But we want to
be able to network our 3 p.c.s together (all have NIC)

I was thinking of a router/switch connecting the modem and the 3 p.c.'s by
cables, and I was just wondering whether this seems viable? With this option
are there any routers/switches that do not work with BT? Would the modem
connect to the router by usb or another method? Does anyone have any
recommendations of any good ones?

The modem that we have is a BT Voyager 100 with a USB connection

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Amanda

Old November 9th 03, 04:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 22:29:35 +0000, abaapis wrote:

Hi,

I know many similar questions have been asked regarding this so I hope
that you don't mind me asking another

We have BT Broadband (just installed) and its working great. But we want
to be able to network our 3 p.c.s together (all have NIC)

I was thinking of a router/switch connecting the modem and the 3 p.c.'s by
cables, and I was just wondering whether this seems viable? With this
option are there any routers/switches that do not work with BT? Would the
modem connect to the router by usb or another method? Does anyone have any
recommendations of any good ones?

The modem that we have is a BT Voyager 100 with a USB connection

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Amanda

Yes, thats the way to do it. Don't use the USB modem and Windows ICS
(internet connection sharing) it is a poor substitute for a router. Any
router bought in the UK from a reputable supplier will be OK on BT or any
other UK ISP. They only cost about 50 UK pound and are usually configured
using your web browser. It will also deal with allocating network
addresses for all the computers on your network and also act as a firewall
making home networking an absolute breeze.

graham

Old November 12th 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Arm Rotor

Graham wrote:

[...]

Excellent reply -- a 1st class example of how good usenet can be.