XP +ADSL

Old November 9th 03, 01:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
trufflesdad

Default XP +ADSL

On my hda I have xp pro on the first partition and Debian/Libranet Linux
on the second...On hdb I have Gentoo and suse Linux...All of the Linux
syetems connect to eth0 very easily..On XP I setup the connection using
the wizard but when I look at the connection it tells me I have an invalid
ip number 0.0.0.....I have tried removing and reinstalling the nic but
still get the same result.....I know the signal is at eth0 as it runs
perfectly in Linux....Anyone come across this before and found a cure ??
All the Linux systems are using dhcp and the router is a Speedtouch 510

--
Regards
Ted Wager

Old November 9th 03, 04:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 13:44:58 +0000, trufflesdad wrote:

On my hda I have xp pro on the first partition and Debian/Libranet Linux
on the second...On hdb I have Gentoo and suse Linux...All of the Linux
syetems connect to eth0 very easily..On XP I setup the connection using
the wizard but when I look at the connection it tells me I have an invalid
ip number 0.0.0.....I have tried removing and reinstalling the nic but
still get the same result.....I know the signal is at eth0 as it runs
perfectly in Linux....Anyone come across this before and found a cure ??
All the Linux systems are using dhcp and the router is a Speedtouch 510

WinXP should also get it's ip settings via dhcp. Try manually inputting a
valid ip reboot then select dhcp, reboot again, may fix the problem. If an
invalid setting creeps in, uninstalling and re-installing does not usually
work because Windoes helpfully remembers previous setting.

BTW do you really need Windoes on your PC?

graham

Old November 9th 03, 06:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
trufflesdad

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:48:48 +0000, Graham wrote:

[...]

Not Really but it is annoying me that I cannot setup xp for the www...
I very rarely use it as I do not find it intuitive to use but am not going
to let it win...I will possibly wipe the disk when I crack it and install
Rock linux in it's place...

--
Regards
Ted Wager

Old November 10th 03, 08:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sunil Sood

"trufflesdad" wrote in message
news
On my hda I have xp pro on the first partition and Debian/Libranet Linux
on the second...On hdb I have Gentoo and suse Linux...All of the Linux
syetems connect to eth0 very easily..On XP I setup the connection using
the wizard but when I look at the connection it tells me I have an invalid
ip number 0.0.0.....I have tried removing and reinstalling the nic but
still get the same result.....I know the signal is at eth0 as it runs
perfectly in Linux....Anyone come across this before and found a cure ??
All the Linux systems are using dhcp and the router is a Speedtouch 510

Try using the repair function on the connection instead of reinstalling the
nic to get a valid IP address - otherwise you could specify a static IP
address

Regards
Sunil