Vigor 2200USB / Axis 2100 / Win2k bother

Old November 10th 03, 11:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
.

Default Vigor 2200USB / Axis 2100 / Win2k bother

Hi folks.
I'm a happy owner of a Vigor 2200USB, an Axis 2100 net cam and a shiny
Windows 2000 PC. I'm having a spot of bother, however.

I'm basically trying to get the cam to act as an internal cam, and use
NAT to splice a port on the router to a port on the (Axis inbuilt web)
server, thus letting people Out There watch the cam, ultimately vis
dyndns.org... simple, huh?

Well, here's where the problem starts: the Axis cams are a bugger to get
going off DHCP, so I'm going for static IP via ARP. I've done a bit of
reading on this, and I can't figure out what's wrong. I'll explain...

i) As per the guidelines, I set up an internal IP for the camera before
it's on the network and whilst it's powered on. This is done from the
Windows box as follows:

arp -s 192.168.1.100 aa-bb-cc-11-22-33

where aa-bb-cc-11-22-33 is the confirmed serial # and MAC address of the
camera. This is accepted by the system, no errors appear. I check it, as
per:

arp -a

this displays two ARPed addresses, one for the router (dynamic), one for
the camera (static). All is fine so far. I start to ping the camera, and
plug it in during the ping.

ping -t 192.168.1.100

What I should be seeing is a list of "Request timed out" while the cam
is off and then a "Reply from 192.168.1.100" etc as the cam boots and
responds to the ping. Now, the ARPed address exists at the workstation,
but not in the router ARP cache table. I can't figure out how an entry
gets into this list, and whether it's the right place for it to go. I've
tried disabling DHCP and the same thing happens. I'm stuck.

Anyone have any ideas? Much obliged.

cheers;

Pete

--
Peter Cooper
Spamtrap in effect, email should go to the following address: hello at