HELP:PC Not Detecting Router - Telewest

Old November 11th 03, 11:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

Default HELP:PC Not Detecting Router - Telewest

Hi, hope someone can help.

I have Telewest blueyonder and have connected a laptop to it using a Linksys
Wireless Router and that is working fine.

However I am having trouble connecting a second PC to the router via
Ethernet.

When using the software that came with the router I get the follwoing
message when it is reading the PC configuration:

"Unable to connect to the Router!
Check that the router has been connected to the computer and that your
ethernet adapter is working"

As far as I can tell the Ethernet adapter is working as the Icon in the
system tray is there and there is no red X over it. Also the light on the
router that I should check is on and so is the light on the Ethernet
adapter.

I am using XP Pro.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks - Joe

Old November 11th 03, 12:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroups

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

#

Hi Jo

What I would advise is to manually enter the details into the router using
the web-based front-end.

1. Connect the equipment as PC - Router (ethernet port) - Cable Modem
(using the WAN port on the router).
2. Power up the router, then after 1 minute, power up the PC.
3. Using your web browser navigate to http://192.168.1.1 and configure the
router from there. I suggest cloning your PC's MAC address by cliking on the
"clone MAC address" button.

Old November 11th 03, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

"NewsGroups" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Hi, perhaps I should have said that the routers IP address is 10.10.10.100
and not 192.168.1.1 so I cant get into the admin control pannel.

;-(

Old November 11th 03, 12:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroups

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

If you set your PC's IP address to be 10.10.10.1 with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0, you should be able to access the control panel.

Old November 11th 03, 01:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Morley

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

So set your machine to have a 10.10.10. address and try again.
Old November 12th 03, 09:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Arm Rotor

Rob Morley wrote:

Hi, perhaps I should have said that the routers IP address is 10.10.10.100
and not 192.168.1.1 so I cant get into the admin control pannel.

So set your machine to have a 10.10.10. address and try again.

The OP should still should get the routers control page, its a
networking problem on the pc not the router -- looking at all the
symptoms it looks like either the TCP/IP protocol isn't set up and bound
to the adapter or like someone has sugested a firewall on the pc is
blocking access.
I would first try to ping the router ( use a dos window "ping
10.10.1.100" ) and the pcs own IP address. There are also loads of good
IP address utillity freeware programes around for checking out what ip
addresses the pc can "see" on its local network.
Old November 12th 03, 11:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Morley

Arm Rotor wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

Hi, perhaps I should have said that the routers IP address is 10.10.10.100
and not 192.168.1.1 so I cant get into the admin control pannel.

So set your machine to have a 10.10.10. address and try again.

The OP should still should get the routers control page,

How's he going to get to an IP address that isn't on his local network
without routing?

its a
networking problem on the pc not the router -- looking at all the
symptoms it looks like either the TCP/IP protocol isn't set up and bound
to the adapter or like someone has sugested a firewall on the pc is
blocking access.

More likely just that DHCP isn't working.

I would first try to ping the router ( use a dos window "ping
10.10.1.100" ) and the pcs own IP address. There are also loads of good
IP address utillity freeware programes around for checking out what ip
addresses the pc can "see" on its local network.

The only addresses that a machine will see on its local network are those
determined by its IP address and netmask.