Pipex ADSL problem

Old November 12th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Balloon

Default Pipex ADSL problem

Hi all,

A friend of mine is having problems with his Pipex internet connection.
He's not bringing the machine over until Saturday, so I can't check it's
settings yet, but from what he's told me, he's flattened the machine, done a
fresh install of XP and all works well. (All he has installed at this point
is the Alcatel driver). From there, he goes to install his motherboard
drivers etc, and he starts having problems. He gets an internet connection
and can browse the web, but after an random period of time, he loses the
connection and can't do anything. The lights on his Alcatel both remain
steadily on, but he can't do anything else. (His IP in IPCONFIG changes to
0.0.0.0).

Anyone have any clues as to what might be causing this? I know I haven't
given much to go on, but I wondered if anyone recognised the behaviour? Are
there problems with some Alcatel drivers?

Cheers.

Old November 12th 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:27:29 -0000, "Mr Balloon"
wrote:

[...]

sounds a bit like the msblast virus/thing but probably not as that
closes the comp down, has he get XP firewall turned off ? it should be
off its crap

he should also install the motherboard drivers before the modem
drivers. has he used the newest drivers from Alcatel 1.6 has been out
a while I think there up to 2 now

What chip set is the mobo, if its VIA make sure he's installed the
newest 4 in 1 driver Hyper something and the latest USB controllers

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz ---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

http://www.davessite.co.uk
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Old November 12th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Balloon

G wrote:

sounds a bit like the msblast virus/thing but probably not as that
closes the comp down, has he get XP firewall turned off ? it should be
off its crap

he should also install the motherboard drivers before the modem
drivers. has he used the newest drivers from Alcatel 1.6 has been out
a while I think there up to 2 now

What chip set is the mobo, if its VIA make sure he's installed the
newest 4 in 1 driver Hyper something and the latest USB controllers

Thanks for that Borg, I'll check the above and hopefully we'll have some joy
with it