Setting up a wireless network

Old November 12th 03, 04:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Scott

Default Setting up a wireless network

Hi there.
I was wondering if I can ask your advice on hot to go about setting up a
wireless network. I don't really know much about it but will try to explain
my needs clearly.
What I want is to network 2 pc's wirelessly as one is downstairs, the
other upstairs, and a cable isn't an option.
Is it possible to get a modem that plugs into an electrical outlet and then
can be connected to the primary pc (upstairs) using cable and then to
connect it to the secondary pc (downstairs) wirelessly? I sort of understand
that part of the networking but, now here's what I'm really needing the
advice on, does the primary pc need to be switched on all the time for the
secondary pc to access the internet? Or can I be downstairs where I work and
then turn said pc off, then go upstairs and turn that one on?
I hope I haven't waffled too much and hope someone can help.
Thanks, Scott

Old November 12th 03, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:23:31 +0000 (UTC), "Scott"
wrote:

Hi there.
I was wondering if I can ask your advice on hot to go about setting up a
wireless network. I don't really know much about it but will try to explain
my needs clearly.

Are you intending to have Broadband or modem dial up.

With broadband you can have a router which means you do not have to
have a particular computer switched on to access the net.

Geoff Lane

Old November 13th 03, 12:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Scott

wrote:

Hi there.
I was wondering if I can ask your advice on hot to go about setting

up a
wireless network. I don't really know much about it but will try to

explain
my needs clearly.

Are you intending to have Broadband or modem dial up.

With broadband you can have a router which means you do not have to
have a particular computer switched on to access the net.

Geoff Lane

It would be a broadband connection. Can you recommend a modem?
Scott

Old November 13th 03, 04:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

I was wondering if I can ask your advice on hot to go about setting
up a
wireless network. I don't really know much about it but will try to
explain
my needs clearly.

Are you intending to have Broadband or modem dial up.

It would be a broadband connection. Can you recommend a modem?
Scott

No, not at the moment as I too am looking in to broadband.

If your set up is just two computers, one up and one downstairs, and
it will not increase then you have three options really;

1. Wired - which you don't want.

2. Mains system which is cable from computer to mains plug and it uses
the ringmain on your house wiring to carry signal, obviously your
mains wiring would need to be a conventional ringmain type.

3. Wireless networking, if it did what it claims on the box it would
be the easiest but after you have bought it you then discover that
normal household things like water tanks, pipes, microwave ovens,
large metal objects and wall insulation affect the range.

Option one is the most reliable and cheapest.

Option two I think is expensive, never used it but can't see what can
go wrong. http://www.solewise.co.uk/ sell this product.

Option three is easiest if the range is OK.

As for modems, if your braodband connection is cable then you need a
cable modem, if it is phone line you need a (A)DSL modem. I've been
told ethernet modems are preferable to USB but I don't really know.

Unfortunately Scott it is not quite as straightforward as one hopes,
WiFi does NOT do what it says on the packet.

We have a WiFi network set up on our club nights if you are anywhere
near Welwyn Garden City and want to see it working.

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals