Can some please tell me how to cure 'can't find network path' under W2k ?

Old November 13th 03, 10:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Default Can some please tell me how to cure 'can't find network path' under W2k ?

I've 2 systems connected through a hub (with a bb modem) , we've made a
user for each other on each system. Computer one can talk to computer
two, but when ever two tries to talk to one all we get is 'can't find
network path' error (even though an icon for two appears in the network
window ??
Can anyone tell how to fix this ?

Many thanks.
--
Steve
Old November 13th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Hemmings

"Steve" wrote in message

I've 2 systems connected through a hub (with a bb modem) , we've made a
user for each other on each system. Computer one can talk to computer
two, but when ever two tries to talk to one all we get is 'can't find
network path' error (even though an icon for two appears in the network
window ??
Can anyone tell how to fix this ?

More details needed. OS?
--
Rob

Old November 13th 03, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

In message , Rob Hemmings
writes
"Steve" wrote in message
.. .

I've 2 systems connected through a hub (with a bb modem) , we've made a
user for each other on each system. Computer one can talk to computer
two, but when ever two tries to talk to one all we get is 'can't find
network path' error (even though an icon for two appears in the network
window ??
Can anyone tell how to fix this ?

More details needed. OS?

Win 2k with service pack 4
--
Steve
Old November 13th 03, 04:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Hemmings

"Steve" wrote in message
In message , Rob Hemmings
writes
"Steve" wrote in message
.. .

I've 2 systems connected through a hub (with a bb modem) , we've made a
user for each other on each system. Computer one can talk to computer
two, but when ever two tries to talk to one all we get is 'can't find
network path' error (even though an icon for two appears in the network
window ??
Can anyone tell how to fix this ?

More details needed. OS?

Win 2k with service pack 4

Have you any firewall software running on PC one?
If not, I'd suspect a network setting is incorrect.
Try starting a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
This will report the IP and DNS settings which may help.
If your broadband modem has DHCP, make sure your
network is set to use it. To do that, go to Control Panel
and look in "Network and Dial-up Connections", right-
click your LAN connection, choose 'Properties'.
In there, you should see:
"Client for Microsoft Networks",
"File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
"Internet protocol (TCP/IP)"
If any are missing, you can install the missing one.
If this doesn't help, post the results of running ipconfig /all
HTH
--
Rob

Old January 12th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

In message , Rob Hemmings
writes
"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
In message , Rob Hemmings
writes
"Steve" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for the info, I've made some headway. System one can see system
two in My Network, but can't connect to it. System two can't see
anything.
Clicking on the 'computers near me' icon just causes a 10 second
pause and then a message 'Home is not assessable' 'The list of servers
for this work group is not currently available' (home is the work group
name there all on).
I've tried the ipconfig /all route but all I get is a box on the
screen of about a tenth of a second !!
System one can ping two and get a list of folders, but that's
as far as we can get !!
Again, everything was working fine under w98se, it's only under
2k the problems have started.
--
Steve
Old January 15th 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David W Allen

In message , Steve
writes
In message , Rob Hemmings SpamDaM
writes
"Steve" wrote in message
. ..

I've 2 systems connected through a hub (with a bb modem) , we've made a
user for each other on each system. Computer one can talk to computer
two, but when ever two tries to talk to one all we get is 'can't find
network path' error (even though an icon for two appears in the network
window ??
Can anyone tell how to fix this ?

More details needed. OS?

Win 2k with service pack 4

Would it be possible for me to jump in here since I am suffering with
the very self same problem with two WinXP home edition machines
networked wirelessly.
The host is a desktop with an internal PCI broadband modem, and the
client a laptop. Each machine has a network card installed, and
originally I set up an ad hoc network which worked, but the range was
very limited. On advice from Belkin, I have added a wireless access
point which has cured the range problem, but has introduced a problem in
that the desktop can access the laptop, but the laptop cannot access the
desktop, other than internet access which is OK.
I get the dreaded permission or cannot find network path error message.
Ping operates in both directions, so I am mystified and just do not know
which way to turn.

Sorry to add to the thread, but did not want to start a new topic once
this was running already.
--
David W Allen
Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk