winroute

Old November 13th 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris

Default winroute

Hi,
I have a server with windows98se on it a winroute what I
would like to do is by-pass winroute to pick up our email
from our isp.

How can I do that as the helpfile of winroute is not very
helpfull.

Can some one explan ti to me very slowly step by step if
possible

Thanks
Chris

Old November 13th 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Chris wrote:
Hi,
I have a server with windows98se on it a winroute what I
would like to do is by-pass winroute to pick up our email
from our isp.

What exactly is the problem? WinRoute should route your email client to
your ISPs POP server just the same as it routes your browser to websites
(except on a different port, of course).
Old November 14th 03, 08:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Chris wrote:
What exactly is the problem? WinRoute should route your email client to
your ISPs POP server just the same as it routes your browser to websites
(except on a different port, of course).

Winroute has a builting mail sever and to by-pass this you have to set nat &
port rules
it this I do not quite understand.

What I'm looking for is some general setting for every day use,which will
let me connect
my net work to www (which I have working with winroute) and collect mail
from my
ISP's mail sever with out using winroutes my server.

Chris

Old November 14th 03, 08:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Chris wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Chris wrote:
What exactly is the problem? WinRoute should route your email client to
your ISPs POP server just the same as it routes your browser to websites
(except on a different port, of course).

Winroute has a builting mail sever and to by-pass this you have to set nat &
port rules

Why?

it this I do not quite understand.

Do you actually use the WinRoute mail server?

What I'm looking for is some general setting for every day use,which will
let me connect
my net work to www (which I have working with winroute) and collect mail
from my
ISP's mail sever with out using winroutes my server.

It should just work. Just because there's a mail server with WinRoute
doesn't mean you can't connect to other mail servers. As long as you
have the WinRoute machine set as your gateway your clients should be able
to access your ISP's POP and SMTP servers without any tweaking.
Old November 15th 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Chris wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Chris wrote:
What exactly is the problem? WinRoute should route your email client

your ISPs POP server just the same as it routes your browser to

websites
(except on a different port, of course).

Winroute has a builting mail sever and to by-pass this you have to set

nat &
port rules

Why?

I don't know I did not write the software only wasted money on it !

it this I do not quite understand.

Do you actually use the WinRoute mail server?

What I'm looking for is some general setting for every day use,which

will
let me connect
my net work to www (which I have working with winroute) and collect mail
from my
ISP's mail sever with out using winroutes my server.

It should just work. Just because there's a mail server with WinRoute
doesn't mean you can't connect to other mail servers. As long as you
have the WinRoute machine set as your gateway your clients should be able
to access your ISP's POP and SMTP servers without any tweaking.

Not with out seting nat and port rules

Old November 15th 03, 09:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Chris wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Chris wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Chris wrote:
[...]

Well mine "just works". I've never enabled the mail server, but I don't
see why that would make any difference. WinRoute is a software router,
not a proxy.
Old November 16th 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Chris wrote:

Well mine "just works". I've never enabled the mail server, but I don't
see why that would make any difference. WinRoute is a software router,
not a proxy.

Winroute is a proxy ,but if you could post a list of all your setting this
would be of some help to me .

Regards
Chris

Old November 16th 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Chris wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Chris wrote:

Well mine "just works". I've never enabled the mail server, but I don't
see why that would make any difference. WinRoute is a software router,
not a proxy.

Winroute is a proxy ,but if you could post a list of all your setting this
would be of some help to me .

It's _not_ a proxy - it's a software NAT router. It includes a cacheing
web proxy and DNS forwarder, but if you don't use them you'll still get
full internet access (depending on the rules you have applied). Once you
have the server set up all you have to do is use that machine as the
gateway for your other machines - there's no need to set proxies for any
of your network client applications.
If you are using the DNS forwarder then set each of your client machines
to use it (and point the forwarder to your ISP's DNS servers), otherwise
set the client machines to use your ISP's DNS servers directly.