Help with WiFI 54g connection please!!

Old November 14th 03, 11:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Rooke

Default Help with WiFI 54g connection please!!

Hi,
I'm running a home peer-to-peer net between my desktop/laptop, both running
XP Pro. I have a PCI Belkin 54g Wireless Desktop Network in the desktop
machine, and a PC-Card Belkin 54g Wireless Notebook Network Card.
Installation went fine, Both machines could 'see' the available network and
connect, with good speeds and signal strengths reported. Sometimes
everything works fine, but other times despite the connection appearing good
and strong, neither OS can see the other machine in Network Connections,
Workgroup Computers etc. They both have identical workgroup names, seperate
computer names and I can usually see the other machine's shared folders in
My Network Places. But if I try to open up the folders I get messages
saying that I don't have permission to access that network resource. But
why does it work on some days and not others? I don't change any settings,
and even when it does work quite often the other machine doesn't appear in
the list of workgroup computers!
As I said before, sometimes the net will work fine for days, even with the
laptop going into hibernation or shutdown - as soon as it boots up again the
connection is made and I'm up and running. But sometimes the connection is
lost or won't make at all and I spend ages trying to bounce each machine up
and down, running the XP Network Setup wizard etc.
I'm sure this isn't just related to the wireless side of things as I had
similar probs using a wired Ethernet connection. I was hoping that going to
a new wWiFi setup with matched hardware would sort things out...

Any ideas please guys?

Regards,
:-) Mark

Old November 15th 03, 10:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:53:23 -0000, "Mark Rooke"
wrote:

Any ideas please guys?

sounds like Windows networking. Do you have the same users on each
machine with the same passwords, also is guest enabled on each machine
(this is the fallback if users aren't matched)

"net user" from a CMD window cmd in the Run box of Start)

force NETbios to be active from the WINS page of Advanced on
Properties of TCP/IP on the Network connection

there is also a service that may need to be running -
Control Panel/Administrative tools/Services
one or both of Network Location Awareness (NLA) and Network
connections may need to be running - these seem to be manually started
on my machine so may not be active every session.

may help

Phil