Internet Connection Sharing

Old November 14th 03, 07:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
geep

Default Internet Connection Sharing

Hi,

Has anybody any experience of using CCProxy from Youngzsoft
(http://www.youngzsoft.net) for Interconnection Connection Sharing using
Windows 98 First Edition using USB DSL Modem (Speedtouch 330).

Basically - does it work?

Old November 14th 03, 07:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

geep wrote:
Hi,

Has anybody any experience of using CCProxy from Youngzsoft
(http://www.youngzsoft.net) for Interconnection Connection Sharing using
Windows 98 First Edition using USB DSL Modem (Speedtouch 330).

Basically - does it work?

Why not try it and see?
Old November 15th 03, 11:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
geep

Hi Rob,
Good idea. I did - and to my amazement it does work.
I now have my 2 Win98 First Edition PCs accessing the Internet via a single
USB ADSL Modem.
I didn't think it was possible, as Win 98FE doesn't support ICS.
PC1 has the ADSL Modem. Proxy installation on PC1 was simple - seconds.
Basically nothing to reconfigure.
PC1 could already see PC2 via Ethernet crossover cable.
I has already (long time ago) sorted out file and printer sharing, and
ZoneAlarm's quirks.
Then on PC2 I configured each application to look for the proxy server on
PC1 at 192.168.0.1.
No additonal software was needed on PC2.
Applications tested on PC2: IE6, RealPlayer, WinMediaPlayer, MS Messenger
and NetMeeting.
Seems to work OK and seems stable after a few hours playing with it.