Windows 2000 advanced server

Old November 15th 03, 01:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dantes

Default Windows 2000 advanced server

Hi

I have a PIII 750 desktop, an older desktop which is used to back up to,
and a newish laptop. I currently connect them all using a Netgear ADSL
router/modem.

I've just got a copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Can I make good
use of this on my network. Would it simplify things like backing up and
sharing files, i.e. could it keep track of the latest version of files
on my desktop or laptop.

Would it also work as a mail server (getting the email sent to it from
Zen) and I could therefore not have to worry about needing an email that
was on the wrong PC. I was wondering about putting it on the main
desktop which is PIII 750 500MB RAM.

If I did this could I access my email externally via a webmail system
perhaps? I have fixed IPs.

Cheers

Old November 17th 03, 03:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Dantes
writes
Hi

I have a PIII 750 desktop, an older desktop which is used to back up
to, and a newish laptop. I currently connect them all using a Netgear
ADSL router/modem.

I've just got a copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Can I make good
use of this on my network. Would it simplify things like backing up and
sharing files, i.e. could it keep track of the latest version of files
on my desktop or laptop.

You could install it, but judging from your description I doubt that it
will offer any real advantages to you. It lets you improve network
security but unless you expect to need that it probably doesn't offer
you any improvements at all.

Would it also work as a mail server (getting the email sent to it from
Zen) and I could therefore not have to worry about needing an email
that was on the wrong PC. I was wondering about putting it on the main
desktop which is PIII 750 500MB RAM.

You could do that if you install the right software, but you don't need
server software to do that.

If I did this could I access my email externally via a webmail system
perhaps? I have fixed IPs.

Again, you could if you installed the right software, but you can do
that without installing Windows 2000 Server.

--
Bernard Peek