ISDN Woes (Newbie)

Old November 16th 03, 05:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

Default ISDN Woes (Newbie)

I'm trying to hook up two RJ45 faceplates to my current BT Home Highway USB
Box in separate bedrooms but have encountered a problem.I'ved wired
everything according to this BT download:

http://www.downloads.bt.com/hh/39747...ion_wiring.pdf

I'ved two RJ45 faceplates but don't have an ISDN terminated faceplate also
known as a type 2.
When I try to connect my PC at the first RJ45 extension socket I get a "no
answer" error.

Do I need a type 2 faceplate?
What is its purpose?
if so
where in the UK can I purchase one?

Any help greatly appreciated..

George

Old November 16th 03, 12:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:05:52 -0000, "George"
wrote:

Any help greatly appreciated..

does http://www.mckerracher.org/highway/index.html or
http://www.mckerracher.org/isdn/index.html#Installation help ?

I think there is a switch on the HH box for the length of extension of
the ISDN bus, You diodn't say how long it was, you may need
terminating resistors on the far end.

Phil
Old November 16th 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

Hi
It's roughly 20-25 metres all in.
I did set the switches according to the BT documentation.

TIA

George

Old November 16th 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

Hi

When you say straight wiring...
The BT documentation says to ignore any numbering on the RJ45 faceplates and
gives you a diagram to follow.
Should I just follow the numbering on the faceplates? (Which is totally
different to the BT recomendation)

TIA

George

"doobr1e" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
I'm trying to hook up two RJ45 faceplates to my current BT Home Highway

USB
Box in separate bedrooms but have encountered a problem.I'ved wired
everything according to this BT download:

http://www.downloads.bt.com/hh/39747...ion_wiring.pdf

I'ved two RJ45 faceplates but don't have an ISDN terminated faceplate

also
known as a type 2.
When I try to connect my PC at the first RJ45 extension socket I get a

"no
answer" error.

Do I need a type 2 faceplate?
What is its purpose?
if so
where in the UK can I purchase one?

Any help greatly appreciated..

George

i havent looked at the pdf but in the past ive just run a straight
through cat 5 cable from the isdn to another location and either plugged
straight into the terminal adapter or put in an rj45 faceplate, same
wiring as any other network rj45 faceplate

ive had success with runs at least 30m in length ... is this one
different for some reason?

Old November 16th 03, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

Thanks Doobr1e

Done exactly what you said and disregarded BT. Now working fine.

Cheers
George
"doobr1e" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
Hi

When you say straight wiring...
The BT documentation says to ignore any numbering on the RJ45 faceplates

and
gives you a diagram to follow.
Should I just follow the numbering on the faceplates? (Which is totally
different to the BT recomendation)

TIA

ok, i cant comment on bt's recommendations, only on my experience ....

firstly, if i connect to any isdn 2e or home highway or business highway
then a straight through ordinary network cable works fine ... so to move
it to another room and use faceplaes i treat it exactly as if is an
ordinary cat5e rj45 network point

now, the wiring for standard patch leads follows ...

white/orange
orange/white
white/green
blue/white
white/blue
green/white
brown/white
white/brown

on both ends ...

so when doing the face plate/s (assuming this is an ordinary rj45 face
plate used for cat5/6 networks) follow the face plates suggested
colouring with the cat5/5e/6 cable you are using which will give you the
network point you need with straight through wiring that will run from
isdn to computer using straight through ordinary network cables to the
terminal adapter in the pc.

hope makes sense.

regards

me