POP Server

Old November 16th 03, 04:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default POP Server

I'm a bit puzzled as to the advantages or disadvantages of a
mailserver and I'm sure any advice will not be straightforward.

I have my own domain and manage two others.

All have an email redirection facility whereby mail to the domain gets
redirected to an address of my choice.

I have the option of my own pop mailbox on two of them, what could I
do with my own pop mailbox that I am not able to do now?

Geoff Lane

Old November 16th 03, 04:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Geoff Lane wrote:
I'm a bit puzzled as to the advantages or disadvantages of a
mailserver and I'm sure any advice will not be straightforward.

I have my own domain and manage two others.

All have an email redirection facility whereby mail to the domain gets
redirected to an address of my choice.

I have the option of my own pop mailbox on two of them, what could I
do with my own pop mailbox that I am not able to do now?

Collect mail from it rather than redirect it to another :-)
If your existing POP accounts are reliable, aren't overflowing and aren't
costing you anything then there's not much advantage to having any more.
Old November 17th 03, 12:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:54:05 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

I'm a bit puzzled as to the advantages or disadvantages of a
mailserver and I'm sure any advice will not be straightforward.

Collect mail from it rather than redirect it to another :-)
If your existing POP accounts are reliable, aren't overflowing and aren't
costing you anything then there's not much advantage to having any more.

Thanks, I thought as much, plus I think I can use a webmail facility
but I have that anyway on my redirected mail.

Geoff Lane

Old November 20th 03, 10:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bruce

Geoff Lane wrote in message . ..
I'm a bit puzzled as to the advantages or disadvantages of a
mailserver and I'm sure any advice will not be straightforward.

I have my own domain and manage two others.

All have an email redirection facility whereby mail to the domain gets
redirected to an address of my choice.

I have the option of my own pop mailbox on two of them, what could I
do with my own pop mailbox that I am not able to do now?

Geoff Lane

Bear in mind that with mail forwarding from your domain to your
mailbox you are adding an extra link in the email chain email. This
might increase the the delay in getting your mail and increase the
unreliability of the system. To receive your mail you are depending on
the mail forwarder working (which might become overloaded if it deals
with lots of peoples mail) AND the email (SMTP/POP3) server working.

Personally I do use mail forwarding. But I have noticed the mail
forwarder can sometimes cause delays. The mail headers might reveal
some interesting information.

Of course there are other things to consider, like the mailbox size
limit (does your current POP3 account offer you enough email space?)

Thanks,

Bruce.
Old November 21st 03, 01:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jason Arthurs

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:10:01 +0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

I'm a bit puzzled as to the advantages or disadvantages of a
mailserver and I'm sure any advice will not be straightforward.

I have my own domain and manage two others.

All have an email redirection facility whereby mail to the domain gets
redirected to an address of my choice.

I have the option of my own pop mailbox on two of them, what could I
do with my own pop mailbox that I am not able to do now?

Geoff Lane

For an individual user with a single PC there is not much point in
running a mail server. I have however used a basic POP3 mail server
called vPOP (www.pscs.co.uk) to allow me to sort mail more effectively
into multiple email packages on the same machine, my personal mail
going to Outlook Express, work mail going into Outlook and usenet mail
being collected by Forté Agent, etc.

If you have a local LAN and want to make sure the other half's email
only clutters up her machine then a basic mail server can help. I now
have a fully fledged Linux mail server and this also has the benefit
that I can filter spam and deal with virus threats at the server level
rather than on the local machines.

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
Old November 21st 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Balloon

Jason Arthurs wrote:

If you have a local LAN and want to make sure the other half's email
only clutters up her machine then a basic mail server can help. I now
have a fully fledged Linux mail server and this also has the benefit
that I can filter spam and deal with virus threats at the server level
rather than on the local machines.

Hi Jason,

I keep meaning to look into doing something like this with my setup.
Ideally, I'd like the Linux box to collect mail from my various POP3
accounts, then for me to collect it from the Linux box via IMAP4 (Simply so
I can access my mail from any machine on the network). Ideally I'd like
spam/virus filtering to be done by the Linux machine too, then I only have
to worry about updates on one box rather than a bunch of them.

What's your current setup? How do you collect mail from the Linux machine?
What do you use for virus/spam filtering?

Steve.

Old November 21st 03, 07:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam Davies

In article ,
says...
Jason Arthurs wrote:

[...]

on the note of dealing with virus's only on the server it's still a good
idea do have a virus checker on the client machines as well just in case
you pick one up from a download or a rogue web page.

What I tend to do is have a virus checker on the mail server box which
checks incoming and outgoing but also have a symantec corporate on that
server and then install client virus checkers on all of the clients
which pick up the updates from the server (so you only have the one
machine getting updates from symantec and the clients pick them up from
that server)