3com Dual 56k LAN Modem Problems

Old November 16th 03, 05:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
RatBox

Default 3com Dual 56k LAN Modem Problems

Hi Group,

I am having no end of problems configuring the 3com Dual 56k LAN Modem on my
local network.
Win 98, 10/100BaseT PCI card, Cat5e Patch cable straight through as
specified.

Story so far:

Bought from Ebay, no software included, or manual, or Cat5e cable. I
downloaded the Manual from 3Com web site but only managed to use the reset
switch successfully. Set the PC to get it's network address automatically,
but the IE6 web browser cannot locate the 192.168.1.1 factory default
address of the 3Com Modem. After reading the manual further I decided to try
to loacte the Software, i.e the EZLan Modem Wizard and the Lan Modem Manager
from the 3Com web site. No EZLan but the Lan Modem Manager software was
downloaded and installed. All the LED's are "Red", and the configuration
option is unavailable in the context menu.

Found an Ebay seller selling a 56k Dual LAN Modem and he kindly burnt a copy
of the Companion disc. I used the EZLAN Wizard to configure my PC for the
modem, connected the modem and installed the LAN Modem Manager software.

This refuses to see my connected PC, though I can PING it from my PC, and
when I telnet to it it refuses the connection, but the browser just refuses
to open the whatever page it is to open by default.

Using winipconf with Automatic Detect Proxy Settings:
Host Information
Host Name = BRIDGE (name of the PC on the network)
DNS Servers = Blank
Node Type = Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID = Blank
IP Routing Enabled = Blank
WINS Proxy Enabled = Blank
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS = Blank

Ethernet Adapter Information
Select Options = NDIS 5.0 Driver
Adapter Address = 00-10-A7-02-09-20
IP Address = 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask = 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway = Blank
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server = Blank
Secondary WINS Server = Blank
Lease Obtained = Blank
Lease Expires = Blank

When I hit release, a message pops up to say:
IP Address for adapter is already released

But when I hit renew, it states
error
DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing Adapter ""

When I set an IP address of 192.168.1.10 with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0 and I have tried 255.255.255.224 (same as LAN Modem)

Host Information
Host Name = BRIDGE (name of the PC on the network)
DNS Servers = Blank
Node Type = Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID = Blank
IP Routing Enabled = Blank
WINS Proxy Enabled = Blank
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS = Blank

Ethernet Adapter Information
Select Options = NDIS 5.0 Driver
Adapter Address = 00-10-A7-02-09-20
IP Address = 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server = Blank
Primary WINS Server = Blank
Secondary WINS Server = Blank
Lease Obtained = Blank
Lease Expires = Blank

PING times out

In addition I have noticed that when I set the PC to pick up it's LAN
address automatically, it sets itself to 192.168.1.1 so IMHO it is
conflicting with the modem which is also on 192.168.1.1 by default. I found
this out by plugging the modem into my existing network hub (10/100BaseT)
and using a LAN Port Scanner/Sniffer to check the LAN settings. It showed
the PC "Bridge" to be 192.168.1.1 and sees all the other PC addresses,
(controlled by Wingate, only 15 Days left of the trial period which is why
it is imperative that I configure the 3Com 56k LAN Modem as this will be
free) correctly as they have been assigned by Wingate.

Any insights would be a help.

Da Glenn