D-Link / Lynksys Wireless Network

Old November 17th 03, 03:04 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

Default D-Link / Lynksys Wireless Network

I am in desperate need of some help to configure a wireless network.

The network consists of 3 PC'c.

Desktop 1 = Windows ME
Desktop 2 = XP Home
Laptop 1 = XP Home

All PC's have been set to use DHCP et al, and all get assigned an IP
address when switched on.

Connected via ethernet cable to DT1 is a D-Link 604+ wireless ADSL
router

DT2 and LT1 both have wireless adaptors (Linksys)

I can access the internet from DT1 without issue.

However, both the wireless connected systems cannot see the internet; at
least, attempting to load pages results in a "DNS Error" page being
loaded.

All machines can PING each other, and i can log into the router
configuration interface via Internet Explorer from each machine, so none
of them have issue with 'speaking' to the router.

The wireless machines both show a good strong signal

Therefore, there is good communication between all 3 machines.

I have set the the wireless adaptors to use both infrastructure mode and
ad-hoc mode without success.

I have tried enabling/disabling WEP, as well as entering the MAC
addresses for the two wireless devices, all without success.

I can only think there is a configuration *somewhere* in the router that
is preventing these wireless adaptors from connecting to the 'outside'
world, yet lets them PING across the LAN.

What i don't understand is why the wired PC can access the internet, yet
the wireless PC's can't ... ?

Both D-Link tech support and Lynksys were of no use.
Lynksys stated that if i can see the router interface, then i should be
able to see the internet (?) and D-Link said "just switch to
infrastructure mode..."

Please, please ... can anyone throw some light onto this for me?

:-(

Old November 17th 03, 03:20 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

"Tx2" wrote in message
[...]

is preventing these wireless adaptors from connecting oto the 'outside'
world, yet lets them PING across the LAN.

What i don't understand is why the wired PC can access the internet, yet
the wireless PC's can't ... ?

Both D-Link tech support and Lynksys were of no use.
Lynksys stated that if i can see the router interface, then i should be
able to see the internet (?) and D-Link said "just switch to
infrastructure mode..."

Please, please ... can anyone throw some light onto this for me?

I think your problem is you rely on DHCP too much - a good knowledge of the
function of DNS and Gateway settings would mean you can set static IP which
is supposed to be more complicated. Ping 217.12.3.11 from the wireless PCs
if you get a reply your gateway setting is correct - ping www.yahoo.co.uk
and if get a reply your dns setting is correct.

:-(

Old November 17th 03, 03:49 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

In article ,
, a.k.a Nick Le Lievre says...

I think your problem is you rely on DHCP too much

I was simply following the instructions on how to set the router and
adaptors up. I can set up static if you think it would help.

It's only a case of 192.168.0.* and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 on each
machine?

Can you enlarge on DNS though please?
Do i need to change anything on the XP boxes?
My own machine is left at XP defaults, i never change the DNS settings.
I connect perfectly thru my Draytek 2600.

Maybe i need to change something on the D-Link router in that respect?

- a good knowledge of the function of DNS and Gateway settings
would mean you can set static IP which is supposed to be more
complicated.

The thing is, all machines are allocated an IP, and can see the LAN
I personally don't think DHCP/Static IP is the issue, but then again,
i'm the one who needs urgent help, so i'll try anything!

I have set the default gateway to be 192.168.0.1 (the router)
Is this required?

Ping 217.12.3.11 from the wireless PCs
if you get a reply your gateway setting is correct -
ping
www.yahoo.co.uk, and if get a reply your dns
setting is correct.

I'll give it a go, but i have a feeling it won't work.

Old November 17th 03, 04:00 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Pearce

"Tx2" wrote in message
In article ,
, a.k.a Nick Le Lievre says...

[...]

Before you start manually altering the ip addresses it may be
worth specifying the dns servers. Try using the following
dns servers:
Primary DNS Server 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50

Andrew

Old November 17th 03, 05:03 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

"Tx2" wrote in message
In article ,
, a.k.a Nick Le Lievre says...

I think your problem is you rely on DHCP too much

I was simply following the instructions on how to set the router and
adaptors up. I can set up static if you think it would help.

I think it would.

It's only a case of 192.168.0.* and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 on each
machine?

Yeah you must add the IP of the device that provides gateway to subnets
outside of 192.168.0.* and the IP of the device that provides DNS Forwarding
or the actual DNS Server IP of your ISP.

Can you enlarge on DNS though please?

Yeah when you enter
www.yahoo.co.uk in your browser your PC contacts the DNS
server specified in your IP configuration which will then resolve the domain
name to the actual machine IP hosting the domain name or forward to the DNS
server that can. Its imperative its there as well as the gateway setting
otherwise your stuck in your 192.168.0.* subnet with no way out.

Do i need to change anything on the XP boxes?

Just go static and enter the settings manually.

My own machine is left at XP defaults, i never change the DNS settings.
I connect perfectly thru my Draytek 2600.

Maybe i need to change something on the D-Link router in that respect?

- a good knowledge of the function of DNS and Gateway settings
would mean you can set static IP which is supposed to be more
complicated.

The thing is, all machines are allocated an IP, and can see the LAN
I personally don't think DHCP/Static IP is the issue, but then again,
i'm the one who needs urgent help, so i'll try anything!

I have set the default gateway to be 192.168.0.1 (the router)
Is this required?

Yes for the reasons I mentioned above + also the DNS server setting.

Ping 217.12.3.11 from the wireless PCs
if you get a reply your gateway setting is correct -
ping www.yahoo.co.uk, and if get a reply your dns
setting is correct.

I'll give it a go, but i have a feeling it won't work.

I provide only a start - this setup should be dead easy to get running.
I trust you neve

Old November 17th 03, 05:54 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

In article ,
, a.k.a Nick Le Lievre says...

I trust you neve

? ^^^

Another 50p in the meter if you would, you appear to have exceeded your
time limit?

;-)

I'll give these suggestions a go, and report back.
Old November 17th 03, 05:58 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

In article ,
, a.k.a Nick Le Lievre says...

Yeah when you enter
www.yahoo.co.uk in your browser your PC contacts the DNS
server specified in your IP configuration which will then resolve the domain
name to the actual machine IP hosting the domain name or forward to the DNS
server that can. Its imperative its there as well as the gateway setting
otherwise your stuck in your 192.168.0.* subnet with no way out.

However ...

Why can the ME box see the internet, but the wireless XP's can't?
No DNS setting has been enabled for the ME box.

Like i say though, i'm going to give it a go, i need to get this sorted.

FWIW ... the ADSL connection is to BT Broadband (AIUI, no password is
required to access this service, although the D-Link router insists one
is inserted! I entered the password as 'none' ... and it worked)
Old November 17th 03, 07:11 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Bradshaw

* Tx2 wrote:

I can only think there is a configuration *somewhere* in the router that
is preventing these wireless adaptors from connecting to the 'outside'
world, yet lets them PING across the LAN.

What i don't understand is why the wired PC can access the internet, yet
the wireless PC's can't ... ?

I'd have a look at the settings for routing and then things like DNS
on the three machines, and see if they make sense and/or are the same.

I'm not really familiar with how to do this on PCs, in particular I
can never work out how to find out the basic info like IP address of
local machine, netmask &c &c. But the following may help.

From a command window you can look at the routing configuration with
netstat -r. What you should find is that there are at least two
routes: one for the local network which uses the local host, and one
for everywhere which points at the IP address of the router (this will
be called `Default Gateway:'.

If there isn't a default route then you're screwed - your machines
will never be able to see the outside world. If the machines are
being configured by DHCP then the DHCP server should be handing out
the default route information.

If routing is set up right then you should be able to, for instance,
ping some well-known IP address. See below on how to find one.

The second stage is to check that DNS is working OK. Again, from a
command window, you can use the nslookup command to check things are
OK. Something like:

D:\home\tfbnslookup www.sun.com.
Server: xxx.yyy.com
Address: xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt

Name: www.sun.com
Address: 64.124.240.199

should produce output roughly as above (with the server name & IP
address replaced by something real).

D:\home\tfbnslookup -d2 www.sun.com.

will produce a bucketload of debugging output as well.

Again, if you're configuring machines via DHCP, DHCP should be handing
out DNS server addresses.

Assuming you have one machine that works, then you can use nslookup on
it to find an IP address, and then see if you can ping that machine
from other machines. If routing looks plausible then ping ought to
work. If routing and DNS look plausible then everything ought to
work. If it doesn't then something somewhere is fouling up, and one
thing you can do is use traceroute (which DOS bogusly calls tracert)
to see what's going on.

D:\home\tfbtracert -d 194.159.245.141

Tracing route to 194.159.245.141 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 212.240.242.97
2 30 ms 20 ms 90 ms 194.159.254.161
3 40 ms 50 ms 51 ms 194.159.254.100
4 40 ms 50 ms 50 ms 194.159.254.246
5 61 ms 60 ms 50 ms 194.159.36.149
6 90 ms 100 ms 151 ms 194.159.241.85
7 50 ms 70 ms 50 ms 194.159.245.141

Trace complete.

This is an example of a traceroute where the target is reachable, I
don't have one to hand where it's not, but you'll generally see rows
of stars an/or other stuff at the point where routing breaks.

--tim
Old November 17th 03, 07:51 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:49, Tx2 wrote:

Can you enlarge on DNS though please?
Do i need to change anything on the XP boxes?
My own machine is left at XP defaults, i never change the DNS settings.
I connect perfectly thru my Draytek 2600.

I'd suggest you look at the IP config for the XP Home machines (in an
MS-DOS window try " ipconfig /all ") as you can then see if the gateway
and DNS entries are being passed on to those systems. The Win ME system
is able to get the details from the router, via the cable.

Personally I never use DHCP, always giving fixed IPs and setting the DNS
entries and gateways by hand. With 4 routers each able to dish out IP
info (if I was using DHCP) it would be quite easy for me not to know
what any specific PC had collected if left to "find its settings"
Old November 17th 03, 08:03 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Sounds an Interesting situation..

I have just been on the D-Link web site and used their 604+ "Simulator".. I
am probably going over old ground as D-Link help line may have allready
checked this, but...

What are your settings in the router under:
Firewall Advanced

regards
Alan