Yet another networking query

Old November 17th 03, 05:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

Default Yet another networking query

A friend of mine is getting Freeserve broadband and would like to share his
broadband connection with all the PCs in his house.

He has already bought a Netgear RP114 router and hopes to use this to share
his connection. His PCs aren't networked at present and I don't mind
admitting that I'm well out of my depth here.

From what I understand (and have picked up here), a Freeserve USB modem
isn't a great start (but there's not a lot I can do about that). Given that
it will have to plug into one PC, how do I connect the router?

The WAN port seems to be designated for connection to one's internet
connection device and as far as I can see, that doesn't seem to mean a PC +
modem, rather, directly to a modem (which ain't going to work with a USB
modem as far as I can see).

Once (?if) we get broadband working on one PC, is it simply a question of
setting up internet connection sharing and connecting the other PCs to the
router? File/printer sharing is a lower priorty at the moment.

Apologies if these seem terribly naive questions. I realise that there are
many better ways to do it but my friend is not keen to ditch his current
hardware for something more sensible like a combined router/adsl modem until
I've torn all my hair out trying to make it work.

TIA

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old November 17th 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Tim Downie wrote:
A friend of mine is getting Freeserve broadband and would like to share his
broadband connection with all the PCs in his house.

He has already bought a Netgear RP114 router and hopes to use this to share
his connection. His PCs aren't networked at present and I don't mind
admitting that I'm well out of my depth here.

From what I understand (and have picked up here), a Freeserve USB modem
isn't a great start (but there's not a lot I can do about that). Given that
it will have to plug into one PC, how do I connect the router?

To the NIC on that machine. But there's not much point, as you'll have
to run routing software and a firewall on that PC anyway, so you might as
well just use a hub/switch to connect the others.

The WAN port seems to be designated for connection to one's internet
connection device and as far as I can see, that doesn't seem to mean a PC +
modem, rather, directly to a modem (which ain't going to work with a USB
modem as far as I can see).

The PC would be acting as a USB-to-ethernet adapter in this case. :-)
You can either connect the PC with the modem to the WAN interface (so
it would provide NAT and filtering to the other PCs, but will complicate
file/printer sharing with the modem PC) or to the LAN interface (in which
case you'd just be using it as a hub). The latter is the easier solution
if your mate is convinced that he wants to use this hardware.

Once (?if) we get broadband working on one PC, is it simply a question of
setting up internet connection sharing and connecting the other PCs to the
router? File/printer sharing is a lower priorty at the moment.

Yes, you can do it that way.

Apologies if these seem terribly naive questions. I realise that there are
many better ways to do it but my friend is not keen to ditch his current
hardware for something more sensible like a combined router/adsl modem until
I've torn all my hair out trying to make it work.

You can make it work easily enough, but it's going to be a bodge.
Old November 17th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

Rob Morley wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:

The WAN port seems to be designated for connection to one's internet
connection device and as far as I can see, that doesn't seem to mean
a PC + modem, rather, directly to a modem (which ain't going to work
with a USB modem as far as I can see).

The PC would be acting as a USB-to-ethernet adapter in this case. :-)
You can either connect the PC with the modem to the WAN interface (so
it would provide NAT and filtering to the other PCs, but will
complicate file/printer sharing with the modem PC) or to the LAN
interface (in which case you'd just be using it as a hub). The
latter is the easier solution
if your mate is convinced that he wants to use this hardware.

Not convinced I don't think, just loath to admit that he might not actually
need it. ;-)

From what you've said (and bearing in mind that the Freeserve modem is a
freebie) would it be better to pursuade him to buy a "proper" adsl modem
that will plug directly into the WAN port? Would this give all his PCs
independant access to the net? If so, any suggestions as where to get such
a thing? I know I shouldn't admit to this but I've never seen anything but
usb modems in the likes of PC World.

Many thanks.

Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old November 17th 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Tim Downie wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:

The WAN port seems to be designated for connection to one's internet
connection device and as far as I can see, that doesn't seem to mean
a PC + modem, rather, directly to a modem (which ain't going to work
with a USB modem as far as I can see).

The PC would be acting as a USB-to-ethernet adapter in this case. :-)
You can either connect the PC with the modem to the WAN interface (so
it would provide NAT and filtering to the other PCs, but will
complicate file/printer sharing with the modem PC) or to the LAN
interface (in which case you'd just be using it as a hub). The
latter is the easier solution
if your mate is convinced that he wants to use this hardware.

Not convinced I don't think, just loath to admit that he might not actually
need it. ;-)

From what you've said (and bearing in mind that the Freeserve modem is a
freebie) would it be better to pursuade him to buy a "proper" adsl modem
that will plug directly into the WAN port? Would this give all his PCs
independant access to the net?

It would, but there's not much point - there's more choice of combined
modem/routers and they hardly cost any more than a modem on its own.

If so, any suggestions as where to get such
a thing? I know I shouldn't admit to this but I've never seen anything but
usb modems in the likes of PC World.

www.ebuyer.co.uk are about as cheap as they come - just search for adsl
on the first page.
Old November 17th 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

From what you've said (and bearing in mind that the Freeserve modem is a
freebie) would it be better to pursuade him to buy a "proper" adsl modem
that will plug directly into the WAN port? Would this give all his PCs
independant access to the net? If so, any suggestions as where to get

such
a thing? I know I shouldn't admit to this but I've never seen anything

but
usb modems in the likes of PC World.

Just done a bit of browsing. Is an ethernet adsl modem what I'm after?
From what I can make out, they're very nearly as expensive as combined
router/modems. (I guess there's relatively little demand for standalone
network modems with the plethora of combined units now).

What are the best deals on ethernet modems and modem/routers?

Cheers.

Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old November 17th 03, 11:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
Tim Downie wrote:
From what you've said (and bearing in mind that the Freeserve modem is

freebie) would it be better to pursuade him to buy a "proper" adsl modem
that will plug directly into the WAN port? Would this give all his PCs
independant access to the net?

It would, but there's not much point - there's more choice of combined
modem/routers and they hardly cost any more than a modem on its own.

If so, any suggestions as where to get such
a thing? I know I shouldn't admit to this but I've never seen anything

but
usb modems in the likes of PC World.

www.ebuyer.co.uk are about as cheap as they come - just search for adsl
on the first page.

Many thanks. Usenet at its best!

(Please ignore my other post. I sent it seconds before you post your
reply).

Tim

Old November 18th 03, 01:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, "Tim Downie" wrote:

What are the best deals on ethernet modems and modem/routers?

Dabs, Ebuyer, or perhaps (at own risk) Ebay. 50 quid should get
a 4 port router/ASL modem. There seem to be lots of Netgear (and
other) routers advertised on Ebay so double check if you see ADSL
with a manufacturer web site, if possible, or ask seller, to be
100% sure, as some are routers for users of cable modems. PGM