Switch in a condo

Old November 17th 03, 05:56 PM posted to comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,uk.comp.home-networking
Petri Krohn

Default Switch in a condo

"todd" kirjoitti viestissä

A friend of mine has a coworker who lives in a 300+ unit condo.

Currently,
there is a shared internet connection among all of the units.

What I'm wondering is, are there switches capable of restricting access
between ports, such that each computer would only be able to connect to a
port that has the internet router on it, for example?

Yes! You need to configure asymmetric VLANs so that the downlink ports only
see the uplink port.
A 10Base-T switch that would do this by default was the Cabletron
ELS10-27MDU (MDU = Multi-Dwelling Unit)
See: http://www.enterasys.com/support/man...dware/3276.pdf

I do not know about the availability of this feature in newer office
switches. I belive some can be configured but not all.

****

This asymmetric VLAN feature is also availabe in HomePNA switches. These
switches enable the sharing of Internet connection in an appartment building
or condo using one pair of telephone wire.

Some switches:
http://www.nexo.com.tw/Products/HomePNA_HS-2402I.htm
http://www.avaks.com/HSD10-2.html
http://www.ovislink.ca/PNA/HSM1402.htm
http://www.netronixinc.com/hg214.html

See also: http://www.homepna.org/products/#mdu

It is difficult to find any information on the web on this use of HomePNA.
This white paper titled "Internet Service in Apartment" turns out to be only
in Thai language.
http://www.nvk.co.th/Article/Interne...0Apartment.pdf

A web site on the subject is only in Finnish.
http://www.homepna.fi/

****

I'm told they have "a couple" of T1 lines coming in and that their current
provider provides some amount of management.

I have never understood the popularity of T1 in the US. I would think you
could get a faster and cheaper service through ADSL.
To combine multiple T1 or ADSL lines you need a load balancer.
Leadfly Technologies produces cheap load balancing routers. The price of the
ADV420 model is around $200.
See: http://www.leadfly.com/products.htm

Another producer is Taicom:
http://www.taicom.com.tw/cpebu2/BU2-WEB/tmh-141.htm

--
Petri Krohn
petri. krohn [email protected] iki. FI(nland)

Old November 18th 03, 05:26 AM posted to comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,uk.comp.home-networking
todd

"Petri Krohn" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info, Petri. Regarding T1 vs. DSL, it hasn't been that long
ago that DSL was not in any kind of widespread distribution. There are
still LOTS of places where it just isn't availble, based on the distance to
the Central Office. I don't know about this particular location.

todd