Networking...Where to start?

Old November 17th 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Default Networking...Where to start?

Hi,

I am completely new to home networking, so please be kind

I have 2 pc's one upstairs (running on windows 98) & one in an office
downstairs (on windows xp)& want to network the two so they can both use
blueyonder broadband.

I don't want all the clutter of cables so would preferably like a wireless
network.

The only other thing is that with the main computer I can't afford to
sacrifice any speed (& would like the same speed I am connecting with now),
the other computer would cope fine with the connection speed from a wireless
connection

Please could you give me any ideas & the type of equipment I would need to
set this up.

Also how much slower would a 56mbps wireless router be compared to
connecting directly to the cable modem?

Sorry if it isn't very clear, I'm not too clear on the subject myself

Thanks for your help