Ethernet Modem. Problem at the First Hurdle.

Old November 18th 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vince

Default Ethernet Modem. Problem at the First Hurdle.

Putting this new PC together has been fine until I started messing
with networks...

I have a USB ADSL modem that works fine (that's how I'm writing this).
I'm trying to replace it with an ethernet ADSL modem (Zoom X3). All
the connections go together fine and I get little green lights in all
the right places (LAN and phone lines) but when I try to connect form
the PC to the ADSL box (using IE in XP) by going via http://10.0.0.2
all I get is a 'server not found' error.

I suspect the ethernet connector on the motherboard (MSI 875P FIS2R)
isn't configured correctly because I get an amber light in the socket
when I plug the ethernet cable in but the documentation is more than a
little vague and doesn't mention anything about such lights.

Whilst I generally know my way around the PC, I'm pretty clueless on
diagnosing LAN problems (I spent yesterday evening trying to configure
the IEEE 1394 settings until I found 1394=firewire).

HTTP settings may need frigging somewhere, but I haven't a clue where.
A couple of simple pointers on how to diagnose this problem would be
most welcome.

Vince.
Old November 18th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:12:04 -0800, Vince wrote:

[...]

Ok you're missing a couple of setup stages here.
All your wiring sounds fine, no problems there.
Is that the correct ip address for the router 10.0.0.2?
Anyway, you need to give your PC's ethernet card an address before they can
talk to each other. If that is the right router address the PC ethernet card
needs to be 10.0.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0
This is a bit non-standard your PC will probably have an address like
192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

For two network devices to be able to communicate directly they need to
have ip addresses in the same range and the subnet masks set the same also.
This is usually:-
192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
The other range would be
10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254 subnet mask 255.0.0.0

Ether is fine but you can't mix these ranges.

graham

Old November 19th 03, 09:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vince

:
I suspect the ethernet connector on the motherboard (MSI 875P FIS2R) isn't
configured correctly...

All your wiring sounds fine, no problems there.

Thanks for the advice. Turns out to be as dumb a problem as I
suspected. I hadn't installed the ethernet drivers. No helpful error
messages when I tried to use the ethernet port. I has assumed that,
like the USB and other ports on the motherboard, all the ports had
been configured on the initial set up. Once that was done, all the
connections came together fine. Took be some hours to discover that
though. Even the modem thought it was linked to a working port.

Networks. Don't you just love them.

Vince.