Accessing web server through ethernet modem

Old November 19th 03, 07:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Mortimer

Default Accessing web server through ethernet modem

I previously used a USB ADSL modem to connect my machine, and ran web
and mail servers on it which I could then connect to from work etc.
This worked fine as when I connected to my domain I was connecting
straight to my gatweay machine.

Since moving to a Zoom X3 ethernet ADSL modem I'm stuck. When I access
my domain this of course just gets me the web interface on the X3. I
can't work out how to get the X3 to pass through requests to the
machine runnning the servers.

My ADSL account gives me a fixed IP, and my home network is running on
192.168.0.*, the machine running the servers has been given a fixed IP
(192.168.0.15). The X3 has settings for a DMZ and Virual Servers, but
I can't work out how to get it to let me connect to my server from the
WAN.

Any help appreciated.
Old November 19th 03, 11:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Bob Mortimer wrote:
I previously used a USB ADSL modem to connect my machine, and ran web
and mail servers on it which I could then connect to from work etc.
This worked fine as when I connected to my domain I was connecting
straight to my gatweay machine.

Since moving to a Zoom X3 ethernet ADSL modem I'm stuck. When I access
my domain this of course just gets me the web interface on the X3. I
can't work out how to get the X3 to pass through requests to the
machine runnning the servers.

My ADSL account gives me a fixed IP, and my home network is running on
192.168.0.*, the machine running the servers has been given a fixed IP
(192.168.0.15). The X3 has settings for a DMZ and Virual Servers, but
I can't work out how to get it to let me connect to my server from the
WAN.

I'd have thought the router admin shouldn't be available on the WAN
interface (can't see anything about it in the crappy manual, though).
Have you tried changing the port that the admin runs on, then set a
virtual server mapping on port 80 to serve your website?
Old November 19th 03, 04:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Mortimer

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:28:40 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

I'd have thought the router admin shouldn't be available on the WAN
interface (can't see anything about it in the crappy manual, though).
Have you tried changing the port that the admin runs on, then set a
virtual server mapping on port 80 to serve your website?

In the 'Miscellaneous Configuration' bit of the setup on the X3
there's an enable/disable Wan side HTTP server setting. I've tried
disabling that and in the Virtual Server bit mapped ports 80 and 8080
through to the IP of my server but it doesn't seem to work, I just get
a 'Cannot find server or DNS Error'.
Old November 20th 03, 12:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

wrote:

I'd have thought the router admin shouldn't be available on the WAN
interface (can't see anything about it in the crappy manual, though).
Have you tried changing the port that the admin runs on, then set a
virtual server mapping on port 80 to serve your website?

In the 'Miscellaneous Configuration' bit of the setup on the X3
there's an enable/disable Wan side HTTP server setting. I've tried
disabling that and in the Virtual Server bit mapped ports 80 and 8080
through to the IP of my server but it doesn't seem to work, I just get
a 'Cannot find server or DNS Error'.

Did you also change the port that the admin server runs on? I suspect
that blocking WAN admin access while still running the admin server on
port 80 will simply block that port, so the redirection doesn't work.
Old November 21st 03, 08:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Mortimer

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:37:23 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

Did you also change the port that the admin server runs on? I suspect
that blocking WAN admin access while still running the admin server on
port 80 will simply block that port, so the redirection doesn't work.

I think I've tried everything. In fact the mail server I want to
access I run on port 8080. I've stuck the server PC as a DMZ (fixed IP
outside the DHCP pool range), tried the port forwarding in the Virtual
Server settings. Tried disabling NAT ...

:-(