Wireless Networking Query

Old November 19th 03, 11:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Williams

Default Wireless Networking Query

Hi I have a Linksys Router/Wireless Access Point, a Wireless PCMCIA Card in
my laptop and a USB Wireless adaptor on my PC upstairs with the PC
downstairs hard wired

The problem I have is that now and again the wireless will go down, it wont
recieve any data but it will send

Any body have any answers? possible solutions?

Thanks

Old November 19th 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:46:54 -0000, "Ian Williams"
wrote:

Hi I have a Linksys Router/Wireless Access Point, a Wireless PCMCIA Card in
my laptop and a USB Wireless adaptor on my PC upstairs with the PC
downstairs hard wired

The problem I have is that now and again the wireless will go down, it wont
recieve any data but it will send

How far away is the laptop when it goes down - the ranges shown on the
packets when they are trying to sell it to you are very optimistic.

Geoff Lane

Old November 20th 03, 09:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:29:02 -0000, "Ian Williams"
wrote:

How far away is the laptop when it goes down - the ranges shown on the
packets when they are trying to sell it to you are very optimistic.

In the room above the W.A.P

As mentioned, I have found the ranges quoted on the packets to be very
optimistic, I've lost a signal 30 feet away.

What you will need to experiment with is moving the laptop and seeing
how it performs.

The WiFi card utility should have a signal strength meter on it.

Repositioning the Access Point may help.

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals