How to block MSN with a D-link DSL 604+

Old November 19th 03, 08:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

Default How to block MSN with a D-link DSL 604+

Hi, I realise this isn't really a networking question but I reckon they
might be more than a couple of folk here who might understand how to work
this router/firewall.

A family member who's currently studying for exams is spending rather more
time than I think helpful on MSN. I don't want to block web access as many
of the Bitesize BBC sites are proving useful.

Can anyboby tell me if firstly, it's possible to use the firewall in the
DSL 604+ to block MSN and secondly, if that's possible, explain it to me in
little words that a router/firewall novice who wouldn't know his port from
his IP address can understand. ;-)

TIA

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old November 19th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TX2

In article , timdownie2003
@obvious.yahoo.co.uk, a.k.a Tim Downie says...

A family member who's currently studying for exams is spending rather more
time than I think helpful on MSN. I don't want to block web access as many
of the Bitesize BBC sites are proving useful.

Can anyboby tell me if firstly, it's possible to use the firewall in the
DSL 604+ to block MSN and secondly, if that's possible, explain it to me in
little words that a router/firewall novice who wouldn't know his port from
his IP address can understand. ;-)

Ha!

Someone after my own heart!

I too would like to block MSN Messenger from a teenager who is always
sneaking onto it instead of doing her homework.

But my issue is i'd like to block it from a specific IP on the LAN, i.e.
her computer, and not my laptop or desktop machine.

So, if anyone can incorporate how to do that (on a Draytek 2600) in your
answer then i'd appreciate it!

Old November 19th 03, 10:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
.

Tx2 wrote:

But my issue is i'd like to block it from a specific IP on the LAN, i.e.
her computer, and not my laptop or desktop machine.

Here's a start point: you could tweak the hosts file on the PC so the
address:

messenger.hotmail.com

resolves to something like 127.0.0.1, thus preventing login. The MSN
Messenger service logs in on the above server on port 1863. I realise
this is a file hack as opposed to a router config issue, but it's a
start :-)

Search for a file called hosts (it's within the Windows folder) and open
it in a text editor. There are instructions within the file itself, but
it's essentially mapping an address to somewhere else (in this case, the
local machine).

Good luck!

Old November 20th 03, 08:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TX2

In article ,
, a.k.a Conor says...

You might find this page useful. It lists the most popular chat clients
along with port ranges.

Any idea how you might apply port blocking to a single IP on the LAN?
Old November 24th 03, 03:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pete

In article ,
says...
[...]

You can stop access using firewall settings but that can get either too
complex or bothersome if you want to alter it / add other sites. However,
Kerio [free] is easy to configure. All you do is run it and point the
browser to the site then as it requests access just deny it. The SW
'learns' so future access should be blocked - requiring a password [admin
rights] to release.

Alternatively, look for a program called SPYBLOCKER. It does the same
thing but not as comprehensive in facillities. It's function is to deny
incoming access. Just list the URL of the sites you want blocked and it's
done. Works very well.

To disable MSN get the new Tweak Manager [free with limited features]
that will do that for you.

HTH

Old November 25th 03, 10:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

Pete wrote:

You can stop access using firewall settings but that can get either
too complex or bothersome if you want to alter it / add other sites.

The advantage for me of doing via the firewall in the router is that I can
do it from any PC in the house (which can be handy at times).

However, Kerio [free] is easy to configure. All you do is run it and
point the
browser to the site then as it requests access just deny it. The SW
'learns' so future access should be blocked - requiring a password
[admin rights] to release.

Thanks. I'm trying is as I type. I've been using Zone Alarm but it doesn't
have any option to set an administrator password so it doesn't take long for
juvenile fiddly fingers to unblock anything.

Alternatively, look for a program called SPYBLOCKER. It does the same
thing but not as comprehensive in facillities. It's function is to
deny incoming access. Just list the URL of the sites you want blocked
and it's done. Works very well.

To disable MSN get the new Tweak Manager [free with limited features]
that will do that for you.

May have a look at those as well.

Cheers.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old November 26th 03, 01:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pete

In article ,
wrote
Pete wrote:

You can stop access using firewall settings but that can get either
too complex or bothersome if you want to alter it / add other sites.

The advantage for me of doing via the firewall in the router is that I can
do it from any PC in the house (which can be handy at times).

If you are networked then there is not an issue.

However, Kerio [free] is easy to configure. All you do is run it and
point the
browser to the site then as it requests access just deny it. The SW
'learns' so future access should be blocked - requiring a password
[admin rights] to release.

Thanks. I'm trying is as I type. I've been using Zone Alarm but it doesn't
have any option to set an administrator password so it doesn't take long for
juvenile fiddly fingers to unblock anything.

ZA is ok but I think the Kero offers more and responds a lot quicker.

Alternatively, look for a program called SPYBLOCKER. It does the same
thing but not as comprehensive in facillities. It's function is to
deny incoming access. Just list the URL of the sites you want blocked
and it's done. Works very well.

To disable MSN get the new Tweak Manager [free with limited features]
that will do that for you.

May have a look at those as well.
Cheers.
Tim

YW

Old November 27th 03, 08:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
rperkin

"Tim Downie" wrote in message ...

Can anyboby tell me if firstly, it's possible to use the firewall in the
DSL 604+ to block MSN and secondly, if that's possible, explain it to me in
little words that a router/firewall novice who wouldn't know his port from
his IP address can understand. ;-)

MSN Messenger is a complex application (text, voice, video etc) and
its use requires multiple ports to be opened through the router to the
user's PC.

Not many routers handle it well, and it's only in recent firmware
versions that the D-Link DSL-604+ succeeds. It's relatively easy to
stop it working on the DSL-604+. Read on...

1. First, make sure that you have the most recent firmware installed.
The current version is R2.21.002.11.b3t41uk dated 4-Nov-03. Find it
he
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-604+/

2. Note that I said "stop it working" rather than set up a firewall
filter. The number of ports used by MSN Messenger make it impractical
given the low level way in which the DSL-604+ firewall is set up. The
way to stop it is to disable UPnP. Find this in the router config in
'UPnP Configuration'. Just set it to disabled.

3. That's it. It may well be that other Internet applications now stop
working, but you may be well be able to live without these...

Hope this helps

Richard Perkin