Two Access Points

Old November 19th 03, 09:39 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Two Access Points

If I have an ADSL router with an AP connected to supply my WiFi
computers and a seperate wired LAN with another AP connected what sort
of network will I end up with?

Am I correct in thinking the WiFi computers will be able to access the
internet and the wired LAN but the wired LAN will not ba able to
access the internet.

The two APs are my present one, a Netgear WG602 which does NOT double
up as a bridge and I may purchase a Vigor 2600 which I understand
makes the coffee and puts the rubish out.

Geoff Lane

Old November 19th 03, 09:46 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:39:02 +0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

If I have an ADSL router with an AP connected to supply my WiFi
computers and a seperate wired LAN with another AP connected what sort
of network will I end up with?

Am I correct in thinking the WiFi computers will be able to access the
internet and the wired LAN but the wired LAN will not ba able to
access the internet.

The two APs are my present one, a Netgear WG602 which does NOT double
up as a bridge and I may purchase a Vigor 2600 which I understand
makes the coffee and puts the rubish out.

Re the above, I meant to say the Vigor 2600we

Geoff Lane

Old November 20th 03, 12:28 AM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Leon.

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
If I have an ADSL router with an AP connected to supply my WiFi
computers and a seperate wired LAN with another AP connected what sort
of network will I end up with?

Am I correct in thinking the WiFi computers will be able to access the
internet and the wired LAN but the wired LAN will not ba able to
access the internet.

Incorrect.

If you can bridge , you have a single network.

You have a netgear router/firewirewall with adsl , wifi AP and LAN ports,
right ?

well the wifi clients will for all intents and purposes be a part of the
LAN.
If you add a 2nd AP, then this 2nd AP also puts its clients onto the LAN.

The alternative to bridging is ProxyARP.

Bridging is two join two ethernets together via the Wifi link.
So you dont want bridging anyway.

You end up with one LAN with WiFi clients.

They can all talk to each other and the internet.

If you like, you can get the 2nd AP to be a router -
you can make the wifi clients of the 2nd AP to be on a seperate network, a
virtual LAN, and the AP then has to route between the two LAN's.

And if you did the same with the Netgear box, then you would have three
Lan's with routing between them.

You could then set the netgear to allow or disallow internet access to each
LAN.

Old November 21st 03, 06:39 AM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
David Efflandt

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:39:02 +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:
If I have an ADSL router with an AP connected to supply my WiFi
computers and a seperate wired LAN with another AP connected what sort
of network will I end up with?

Am I correct in thinking the WiFi computers will be able to access the
internet and the wired LAN but the wired LAN will not ba able to
access the internet.

Sort of. From User Guide for WG602 it appears to only be an access point.
So there would be NO communication between LAN on the the WG602 and your
router AP. Wireless clients would be able to connect to your router AP or
WG602 (but not both at same time unless wireless client had 2 wireless
adapters and each AP with different ssid).

The two APs are my present one, a Netgear WG602 which does NOT double
up as a bridge and I may purchase a Vigor 2600 which I understand
makes the coffee and puts the rubish out.

Some APs can act as wireless client (or briding with like units), but
apparently the WG602 cannot.

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/