Wireless protocaol 802-11b in US vs UK

Old November 22nd 03, 02:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Default Wireless protocaol 802-11b in US vs UK

Is a wireless card bought in UK completely compatible with 802-11b in the
US as well? I have heard that the channels that are used are slightly
different between the US and UK, but have never had the occasion to
check myself.

This is important, because I am looking for laptop for my daughter to take
to school in America, and I'll not bother to pay for integrated wireless
if there is a compatibility problem, instead just having her buy a
wireless card when she gets to the States.

Old November 22nd 03, 02:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
rjth2 Richard H

As far as i know this is a universal standard that should work everywhere.
However... Each card has a hexidescimal physical address (MAC address). This
must be unique on any given LAN. The same address can be allocated to more
than one card providing they are for sale in different countries, on the
basis they should never appear on the same network. So the MAC address of
your laptop my clash with another on the network.

Old November 22nd 03, 02:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:08:19 +0000, Dave
wrote:

Is a wireless card bought in UK completely compatible with 802-11b in the
US as well? I have heard that the channels that are used are slightly
different between the US and UK, but have never had the occasion to
check myself.

the UK uses a few additional channels, 1-11 are approved in the US but
I think its 1-13 in the UK.

The standard is the same and there will be no compatibility problems
beyond the lack of the top channels on US kit. Some drivers ask you
for location and restrict channels accordingly.

I bought my original 802.11b kit in the USA and since bought in the UK
and it all works with everything else in both places.

Phil
Old November 24th 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ian

"Dave" wrote in message
news
Is a wireless card bought in UK completely compatible with 802-11b in the
US as well? I have heard that the channels that are used are slightly
different between the US and UK, but have never had the occasion to
check myself.

This is important, because I am looking for laptop for my daughter to take
to school in America, and I'll not bother to pay for integrated wireless
if there is a compatibility problem, instead just having her buy a
wireless card when she gets to the States.

forgetting everything else she would probably be better off buying the
laptop in the states - us/uk keyboard layouts are different and hardware is
generally =$ so everything is almost 40% cheaper (and she would get a us
warranty for any problems).

I guess it depends on how long she will be out there.

Old November 26th 03, 05:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Yes, the keyboards are different but she touch types, so you just load the
different mapping for US keyboard (in Windows setup) and there you go.

She needs to have the laptop ahead-of-time to get used to it and I want to
make sure it works. I do the same thing everytime I get a new laptop at
work - American company but they use the UK models. You're right, the cost
difference is real, but everything here in UK (just about) is more
expensive, and I've no plans in meantime to travel.

"ian" wrote in message

news