Wirelsss Router Problems USRxx8054

Old November 23rd 03, 04:00 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Coyle

Default Wirelsss Router Problems USRxx8054

My USR808054 keeps dropping the wireless connection... Happening at least
every second day.

I have configured WEP (128 bit) & enabled MAC Access filtering (limited to
my laptop & desktop) and I'm running in G mode only.

However... the only way I can recover the device is to do a hard
reset...which takes me back to a wide-open network mode. NOt an ideal
situation.

Does anyone have any info on known problems with this router???

Old November 23rd 03, 07:21 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
GuitarMan

"Hactar" wrote in message
You're the third person I've noticed report problems with this model in

this
newsgroup since September (counting me). How many USR8054 users _don't_

have
problems?

I have a USR8054 and have no problems with it.

Mine drops connection much more frequently than that, up to several times

an
hour, so you're not too bad off, relatively speaking.

Try resetting the router and see if it continues. Mine doesn't keep
disconnecting.

What firmware revision are you using? I'm using 1.17 and 64-bit WEP (MAC
filtering not used). I have one 802.11b client, three directly-connected
wired clients, and the fourth wired LAN port goes to an 8-port hub (uplink
port on the hub).

I'm also using 1.17 which is the only one available for the router.
I have 4 wired and 3 wireless and all run smooth with no problems.

You might try disabling WEP just for a test, to see if the router still
acts up.

Worth a try but you shouldn't have to disable WEP.

--
-eben m home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

Old November 24th 03, 12:27 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
GuitarMan

"Hactar" wrote in message
In article ,
GuitarMan wrote:
"Hactar" wrote in message

Mine drops connection much more frequently than that, up to several

times
an hour, so you're not too bad off, relatively speaking.

Try resetting the router and see if it continues.

Good idea, but I've reset it several times in the past. Also power-cycled
it, and replaced the firmware.

Hactar,
Where is your router located at? I used to have mine in the basement when I
first got it and couldn't connect or got drop-offs. I then moved it to the
2nd floor in our dining room area and can now connect from anywhere in the
house. The higher the placement the better. Might be another idea to try.
The nice thing is with having DSL at home, I can move it anywhere I want.
Here's another tidbit if your handy with cabling/wiring and have DSL. Change
all your inside phone cabling to CAT5 cable it's actually easy to do.

You might try disabling WEP just for a test, to see if the router

still
acts up.

Worth a try but you shouldn't have to disable WEP.

I agree, but it's only for testing.

got it....try the above ideas and see what happens. Post back and let me
know.

Old November 25th 03, 07:52 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Coyle

All

Thanks for the conversations...

some more info.

My HP laptop has a broadcom 54g (WL450) built in... I haven't set up my
desktop yet (that will use a USR 11.g card)... maybe I'll have more success
debugging this when that is online.

I noticed (wierd) that it stays up if I leave the SSID = USR5054 (I had it
set to another value..)

Also... If I don't broadcast the SSID, I can't connect (even in adhoc).

however... this is the third evening with access (albeit WEP is off... but
MAC filtering is on)... I only run sessions with secure encryption
wireless... for banking/shopping I run a wire...

I'll update with any further developments.... (roll on WPA).
"Hactar" wrote in message
In article ,
Jepp wrote:
"Hactar" wrote in message
You're the third person I've noticed report problems with this model

in
this newsgroup since September (counting me). How many USR8054 users
_don't_ have problems?

I setup my USR8054 router and wireless pci cards to my two desktops and
haven't had any problems with it. Took a little while to figure

everything
out, but I have MAC filtering enabled and 256 WEP encryption enabled as
well.

My cable modem "DATA" light blinks continuously. Either I'm being

barraged
by packets, or somebody near me is busy and the modem is in promiscuous

mode.
The WAN light on the router is always on. I wish I could see the packets
that cause it to be illuminated. I used to have another Linux box as a
router. That was handy, as I could run tcpdump on a misbehaving

interface.
Alas, it did not have 802.11x, and the 8054 did everything (basically) the
Linux box did, so I decomissioned the Linux box, Maybe something inside

the
8054 gets overheated because of the continuous activity, and it shuts down
every now and then.

--
-eben m home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
ARIES: The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb

Old November 29th 03, 07:55 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Coyle

Default DHCP failure / USR808054 / DCM02 60194E-A12

All

More issues come to light!

Without WEP (hopefully not for long) the wireless stays up...

However, the router fails to hold on to the cable modem... eventually the
WAN conection goes dead... the only solution is to restart the router
(restarting the modem is ineffectual).

I've replaced the cables between the modem & the router.. no change in
symptoms.

This happens on a daily basis... Looking at my host info directly, I get the
DHCP lease from my ISP for 24hrs... the router is not re-negotiating the new
DHCP correctly.

The modem is self-branded from my provider (Cablecom in Switerland). It is
a model 60194E-A12 ... branded as a DCM02.

I do NOT want to go to a static IP from my provider.... been there & don't
like the time I had to spend defending against attacks...

Any thoughts / suggestions are appreciated.