ICS Problems

Old November 23rd 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steevo

Default ICS Problems

Can anyone give me a reliable method for setting up a home network with ICS
in XP? I've tried using the network setup wizard and also doing it manually
but cannot manage to get DCHP to assign an address for the client computer.
When i click repair I get "An error occured: Renewing the IP address" or
summut to that effect and also sometimes it claims there was a problem
"Flushing the ARP cache". Both of these give me no indication as to how I
should fix it. Is there a setting somewhere that could be preventing the
connection from being shared? I can setup a network to transfer files
although the client will not show the shared connection as being available.

Many Thanks

Old November 24th 03, 07:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:17:15 +0000, Steevo wrote:

Can anyone give me a reliable method for setting up a home network with
ICS in XP? I've tried using the network setup wizard and also doing it
manually but cannot manage to get DCHP to assign an address for the client
computer. When i click repair I get "An error occured: Renewing the IP
address" or summut to that effect and also sometimes it claims there was a
problem "Flushing the ARP cache". Both of these give me no indication as
to how I should fix it. Is there a setting somewhere that could be
preventing the connection from being shared? I can setup a network to
transfer files although the client will not show the shared connection as
being available.

Many Thanks

OK, I take it this is a 2 computer network. Firstly if you are not using a
hub, are you using a crossover cable? Secondly you need to work out which
machine is causing the problem. DHCP will only work once all your other
problems are sorted out. Manually allocate each computer it's own address
and configuration.

Computer 1 (with ICS): ip = 192.168.0.1 subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = 0.0.0.0 DNS = whatever your ISP says it is.

Computer 2: ip = 192.168.0.2 subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = 192.168.0.1 DNS = whatever your ISP says it is.

Once this is set up on both machines, call up a command prompt on machine
1. Then ping it's own ip address. If that works ping computer 2's
address.

Now do the same from computer 2. if all is well you will get a reply from
each ping, meaning your internal network is OK if not, you should now know
which computer is not working.

graham

Old November 25th 03, 06:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steevo

Thanks for your help, Graham. I have done exactly as you said, computer 1
cannot detect itself - pinging itself times out whereas if it pings comp 2
you get a reply.

Computer 2, quite strangely can get a reply by pinging computer 1 although
times out if it attempts to ping itself.

Have you got any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Many Thanks

Old November 25th 03, 07:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:50:23 +0000, Steevo wrote:

Thanks for your help, Graham. I have done exactly as you said, computer 1
cannot detect itself - pinging itself times out whereas if it pings comp 2
you get a reply.

Computer 2, quite strangely can get a reply by pinging computer 1 although
times out if it attempts to ping itself.

Have you got any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Many Thanks

Are all the subnet masks set to 255.255.255.0?

graham

Old November 25th 03, 07:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steevo

Yes, both computers have subnet masks set to 255.255.255.0

It's really strange because I can share files with the network set like this
but it will not allow an internet connection to be shared. Is this because
DHCP is not working?

Many Thanks

Old November 25th 03, 07:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:50:23 +0000, Steevo wrote:

Thanks for your help, Graham. I have done exactly as you said, computer 1
cannot detect itself - pinging itself times out whereas if it pings comp 2
you get a reply.

Computer 2, quite strangely can get a reply by pinging computer 1 although
times out if it attempts to ping itself.

Have you got any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Many Thanks

Hmmm I didn't expect that.

You haven't applied any firewall settings at either computer?
Are you pinging the right addresses?

From computer 1 you say you can't ping itself (192.168.0.1)
Try pinging the loopback address which is 127.0.0.1 This is the same for
both computers regardless.

graham

Old November 25th 03, 07:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steevo

Excellent!!!! You asked if I had any firewall settings applied to either
computer - i've got (or I should say I had) the personal firewall of Norton
Internet Security running on both computers. Having disabled this on both
machines and setting the ip address to automatically be assigned DHCP works
perfectly assining comp 2 an ip of 192.168.0.2 automatically!

(The 127.0.0.1 you suggested also worked once the firewalls were disabled!)

Couple of quick q's:

Are there any settings that I should now change on my firewall to allow me
to enable it in future yet still share the internet but keep the firewall?

The connection does not appear in "network connections" on the client
computer although having used IE I am sure the connection works and is being
shared. Is there any way I can make it appear?

Many thanks for solving the problem!!!

Old November 25th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:31:14 +0000, Steevo wrote:

[...]

Sorry I got dragged away, glad it's working now.
Firewalls: Don't use any firewall at all on the second computer. That
should be protected by the first computer. If an attack reaches the second
computer it is too late! Apply any firewall settings to the internet
connection to stop incomming attacks. The network card is on your internal
network, the friendly side!

graham

Old November 26th 03, 06:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jacky

I recommend a mini-sized and powerful Personal Firewall:GoldTach Pro .

This security tool runs efficiently and stably with only 1.2 MB size. It can
stop hackers ,protected e-mail safely,block ads pop and cookie etc.

You can download it freely here, http://www.goldtach.com/download.htm
Old November 26th 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Graham wrote:
snip
Firewalls: Don't use any firewall at all on the second computer. That
should be protected by the first computer. If an attack reaches the second
computer it is too late!

Not true - a good personal firewall will protect against worms and
trojans, and should be used in conjunction with a perimeter firewall.