Broadband Modem Dial Up

Old November 24th 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Broadband Modem Dial Up

I have ordered broadband.

I am purchasing my accessories seperately, when I set my system up
does my old dial up modem (Back up) just plug into the filtered socket
which would normally be used for voice calls.

Geoff Lane

Old November 25th 03, 01:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McIntosh

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
Geoff Lane wrote:

: I am purchasing my accessories seperately, when I set my system up
: does my old dial up modem (Back up) just plug into the filtered socket
: which would normally be used for voice calls.

yes.

.... But remember you can only have one dial up connection at a time so if
you start the dialer for your old analogue modem your broadband connection
will be dropped if you're using, eg, a PCI ADSL modem.

Old November 25th 03, 06:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

... But remember you can only have one dial up connection at a time so if
you start the dialer for your old analogue modem your broadband connection
will be dropped if you're using, eg, a PCI ADSL modem.

Broadband is not dialup !

Dave

Old November 25th 03, 07:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 05:17, Dave Stanton wrote:

... But remember you can only have one dial up connection at a time so if
you start the dialer for your old analogue modem your broadband connection
will be dropped if you're using, eg, a PCI ADSL modem.

Broadband is not dialup !

True, but the OP asked about plugging in the analogue modem, so it will
rather depend on the use that is made for it (fax, perhaps) and in that
case the user could have ADSL via PCI/USB/router and be using a modem.

In most cases, you'll only be able to have internet traffic going over
one modem connection, though you can route to different gateways on XP
(and presumably anything since Win 98SE). Peter M.
Old November 25th 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

Dave Stanton wrote in
news
Broadband is not dialup !

Quite. So there's no logical reason why an ADSL driver is set up in
Windows as a dial-up adapter, which even pops up a dial-up connection
dialog on occasion, yet it does...

--
BRG
===
Old November 25th 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:12:39 -0000, "Ian McIntosh"

Geoff Lane wrote:

: I am purchasing my accessories seperately, when I set my system up
: does my old dial up modem (Back up) just plug into the filtered socket
: which would normally be used for voice calls.

yes.

... But remember you can only have one dial up connection at a time so if
you start the dialer for your old analogue modem your broadband connection
will be dropped if you're using, eg, a PCI ADSL modem.

Ah, that's interesting, I was thinking about using a double connection
to test out VPN about which I know absolutely nothing. But that was
for the future.

Geoff Lane

Old November 27th 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Broken Spirit

Geoff Lane wrote:
I have ordered broadband.

I am purchasing my accessories seperately, when I set my system up
does my old dial up modem (Back up) just plug into the filtered socket
which would normally be used for voice calls.

Geoff Lane

Yes. I have broadband on my main computer and normal dial-up, plugged into
the filter, on the computer in the bedroom. I can have both online (BB and
dial-up) at the same time without any problem whatsoever.

HTH

Old November 28th 03, 11:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jay

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:06:11 -0000, "Broken Spirit"
wrote:

Yes. I have broadband on my main computer and normal dial-up, plugged into
the filter, on the computer in the bedroom. I can have both online (BB and
dial-up) at the same time without any problem whatsoever.

Key point - 2 seperate computers

jay
Old November 28th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Yes. I have broadband on my main computer and normal dial-up, plugged into
the filter, on the computer in the bedroom. I can have both online (BB and
dial-up) at the same time without any problem whatsoever.

Key point - 2 seperate computers

It just needs the software setup for it.
I've often in the past had two dialup connections on the same machine.
One setup as the default route for packets, and the other to only
access one ISPs network.
So that I could download news at full speed while browsing the net.

Works well, using various linux variants.

Old November 28th 03, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian G Batten

wrote:

Yes. I have broadband on my main computer and normal dial-up, plugged into
the filter, on the computer in the bedroom. I can have both online (BB and
dial-up) at the same time without any problem whatsoever.

Key point - 2 seperate computers

Out of morbid interest, I've had a machine routing between four
networks: DSL via a USB modem, dialup using the same phone line via a
PCMCIA modem, ethernet via a PCMCIA card and another dialup via IrDA to
a mobile phone. The number of computers is neither here nor there.

ian