wireless troubles

Old November 24th 03, 01:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
rodgerdodger

Default wireless troubles

i have two desktops and a laptop that were on a LAN via an ethernet
hub. one desktop is general purpose, one is a music workstation and
the laptop is general purpose. i decided to go with a wireless
connection on the general purpose desktop and laptop, but decided
against going wireless on the music pc.

i have installed the pcmcia wifi card and the pci wifi card into the
two computers and they (from looking at the system tray icons) are
talking to each other wirelessly. But, i cannot access data across
the network, and the computers dont show up in the list of computers
in my workgroup. all dns and ip addresses are set to automatic (you
know what i mean). i am surmising that my problem is a network setup
issue as opposed to a hardware or driver issue.

Could anyone offer any advice?
Old November 24th 03, 05:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ian

"rodgerdodger" [email protected] wrote in message
i have two desktops and a laptop that were on a LAN via an ethernet
hub. one desktop is general purpose, one is a music workstation and
the laptop is general purpose. i decided to go with a wireless
connection on the general purpose desktop and laptop, but decided
against going wireless on the music pc.

i have installed the pcmcia wifi card and the pci wifi card into the
two computers and they (from looking at the system tray icons) are
talking to each other wirelessly. But, i cannot access data across
the network, and the computers dont show up in the list of computers
in my workgroup. all dns and ip addresses are set to automatic (you
know what i mean). i am surmising that my problem is a network setup
issue as opposed to a hardware or driver issue.

Could anyone offer any advice?

I take it you've checked to obvious - same workgroup name and allowed for
shared folders on the 2 pc's.

If the link is established I guess that they are setup in ad hoc mode and
that (at least until the connections are sorted) you have turned off wep.

If the above don't help what os are you using - I had a bunch of trouble
getting a 98se notebook and an xp machine talking reliably - finally
installed xp on the notebook and it just worked - I tried everything under
win98 and had no success at all..

HTH

Ian

Old November 24th 03, 06:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
rodgerdodger

thanks for getting back ian,

i forgot to mention that i am running xp home on my laptop and win2k
on my desktop. i have since noticed that although the taskbar icon is
showing me as connected, each computer is only sending packets and not
receiving. i have got the computers less than four feet away, so i
cant see range being an issue. all the sharing privelages are setup
already, as i was using the computers on a wired network without any
problem. i have been at this all afternoon, and am about to volley
the lot out of the window.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:55:50 +0000 (UTC), "ian"
wrote:

.. .

Old November 25th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian

Rodger

check that both pc are trying to connect in adhoc mode and that the ssid is
the same.

what I would suggest is truning off one machine and setting up an ad hoc
connection on the other.

then reboot the 2nd pc and scan for available wireless networks, this should
then find the existing adhoc connection and ask if you wish to connect (with
a warning that it is not secure if wep is not operating).

This should sort out the connection - the other major problem I had was with
norton interent security which blocked all my attempts to get 2 adhoc
machines to talk - if you are suing a firewall similar to this turn it off
and then once the network is operating correctly reconfigure the network
settings in the firewall (with norton you can use the wizard to do this
automatically).

Hopefully you will then be sorted

HTH
Ian