Netgear DG814 web filtering firmware flaw

Old November 24th 03, 10:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

Default Netgear DG814 web filtering firmware flaw

Has anyone else spotted the glaring error in the Netgear DG814 router/modem
filtering?
If you enter certain long web addresses into the filtering list, eventually
(I'm guessing here) the firmware program is overwritten and you can no
longer access the router via the web browser, the internet is dropped and it
will fail to reload its own firmware from the backup when you do a factory
reset.
You can tell things are about to fold because the entries higher in the
list(not the ones you have just added) are corrupted.

I have had 3 of these do exactly that....(

The 3rd I rescued before it went belly up by reloading the saved setting
from disk (only had 2 short keywords) and chopping the new filtering
keywords to very short ones.

This is running the very latest firmware from Netgears website.
I suspect I am not the first to have hit this fault and I think Netgear
should get their software engineers to fix this and release the new
firmware, may take some of the load off their allready overloaded helpdesk.
I like the Netgear kit but I hate their support team in India that read off
a script and I dislike the long delays in returning my emails.

Cheers

Rob King