Need help with networking Xp to Me

Old November 24th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hill

Default Need help with networking Xp to Me

Hi,

Here's the setup:

Main machine - Athlon XP1800+ running XP (SP1), IP address 192.168.2.41,
default gateway: 192.168.2.1, workgroup Drographics.

Backup machine - Pentium 3 450Mhz running Me, IP address 192.168.2.42,
default gateway: 192.168.2.1, workgroup Drographics.

XP machine connected to an SMC Barricade 7404BRA

Me machine connected to a 3Com 4-port hub, which connects to the Barricade.

Each machine can see a workgroup called Drographics, with one computer in it
(itself), the Me machine can connect to the internet, access the router
setup through IE, etc, the XP machine can't.

I should point out that this setup, with these IP, DNS, TCP/IP settings
worked fine until I suffered a synchro failure on the XP machine's RAID
array and lost both the boot disks. It's only following the re-build and
re-installation of the OS that I find I'm unable to access the network,
router, or the world at large.

I'm sure there must be box somewhere in a neglected sub-menu that I've left
unchecked when it should be checked, or vice versa, or information that
should have been entered wasn't.

I'm at a loss.

I've entered and re-entered my settings so many times now that I know my IP
address, default gateway and DNS search order by heart! How sad is that!

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Terry

---

Old November 25th 03, 04:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

(http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.516 / Virus Database: 313 - Release
Date: 01/09/2003

A bit of pinging here will pinpoint your problem, I would guess it's the XP
machine. Try pinging it's own ip address from itself. If that works ping
one of the other machines inside your network. If that works ping an
external address. I bet the first ping will fail. Check the device
manager, is the network card installed OK with all it's drivers working?

graham.

Date: 01/09/2003

A bit of pinging here will pinpoint your problem, I would guess it's the

XP
machine. Try pinging it's own ip address from itself. If that works ping
one of the other machines inside your network. If that works ping an
external address. I bet the first ping will fail. Check the device
manager, is the network card installed OK with all it's drivers working?

graham.

I reckon it's the XP box or the settings therein too, and it's going to be a
"DOh! How did I miss that?" moment when I/we find it. Pinging 192.168.2.41
(XP box)gets ,1ms on all 4 attempts. Pinging anything else times out.
System reports device working correctly. I tried entering 192.168.2.41 in
the tab for the NIC under system - and promptly loss this machine from the
workgroup! It can now see the DroGraphics workgroup, but there are NO
computers in it. Tonight, I will physically dis-assemble the thing, and,
with consummate care, put it all back together and try again.

Thanks for your help. Further suggestions welcome. (I'll try anything
short of ritual sacrifice or invasive surgery)

Terry

---