ebuyer usb wireless changed?

Old November 25th 03, 03:02 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.home-networking
ff

Default ebuyer usb wireless changed?

Looking for a cheap usb wireless thing I had several recomendations of
the ebay one form usenet and it had a picture of a big thing on a lead
with a little pop up ariel. Now its arrived its a origo usb pen plugin
and the picture on the product page has changed? Have I just been
mistaken or have I been duped? Anyone know what came before?
Old November 25th 03, 03:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ff

Here is what I was expecting (pdf file)
http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk/ORIGO/WLL-1600.pdf

here is what I recieved (with the changed picture)
http://tinyurl.com/vve0

web page gives part no wll-1600 but invoice shows part wll-2200.

Does anyone know how the these little pen things compare to the
regular ones? Presumably you can not wave it about as much for a good
signal. Just so wierd it wall all change in the couple of days between
ordering and delivery.
Old November 25th 03, 03:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian

"ff" wrote in message
Here is what I was expecting (pdf file)
http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk/ORIGO/WLL-1600.pdf

here is what I recieved (with the changed picture)
http://tinyurl.com/vve0

web page gives part no wll-1600 but invoice shows part wll-2200.

Does anyone know how the these little pen things compare to the
regular ones? Presumably you can not wave it about as much for a good
signal. Just so wierd it wall all change in the couple of days between
ordering and delivery.

more importantly does it work and do the job - if it does then I wouldn't
worry. If not return it. FWIW I would have gone for the netgear MA111 for 3
quid extra - this may be a better option if you return it.

to be honest thats one of the joys/pitfalls of buying the very cheapest kit.

I buy a lot of gear from ebuyer but would only buy established named kit
when it is critical to the workings of my system (such as my network).

Good luck

Ian

Old November 26th 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Wilson

Here is what I was expecting (pdf file)
http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk/ORIGO/WLL-1600.pdf
here is what I recieved (with the changed picture)
http://tinyurl.com/vve0
web page gives part no wll-1600 but invoice shows part wll-2200.

Ebuyer now show "Wireless 22Mbps PCMCIA Card" for part WLL-2200

Old November 26th 03, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ff

more importantly does it work and do the job - if it does then I wouldn't
worry. If not return it. FWIW I would have gone for the netgear MA111 for 3
quid extra - this may be a better option if you return it.
to be honest thats one of the joys/pitfalls of buying the very cheapest kit.
I buy a lot of gear from ebuyer but would only buy established named kit
when it is critical to the workings of my system (such as my network).
Good luck Ian

Thankyou for the thought. Unfortunately the new adaptor is not very
suitable as it plugs directly into the usb port and on my system can
not fit next to the other cables or into my hub. Equally plugged into
the back of the computer it is broadcasting into a wall. I could get a
usb extension cable and put it on the end but with shipping or
highstreet prices it would be a bit pricey.

I see your point about price but when I ordered it it was actually
about six pounds cheaper than the netgear and I was actually paying a
little more than elsewhere because someone said the ebuyer one had
good range. Ironically it looks like I may end up paying more so it
would have been cheaper to buy a branded one, so maybe you are right.
Old November 26th 03, 04:01 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.home-networking
ff

Here is what I was expecting (pdf file)
http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk/ORIGO/WLL-1600.pdf
here is what I recieved (with the changed picture)
http://tinyurl.com/vve0
web page gives part no wll-1600 but invoice shows part wll-2200.

Ebuyer now show "Wireless 22Mbps PCMCIA Card" for part WLL-2200

I noticed that, nothing seems to quite add up on this order, but I
have sent them an enote pointing to
http://www.dreva.freeserve.co.uk/ebuyer/ebuyer.pdf
which is the origional order page but I have a nasty suspicion they
will have some clause hidden in terms and conditions saying pictures
don't count and information in reviews is nothing to do with us. Then
I will have to decide if losing two sets of shipping costs makes it
worth using the dsa. Ah well I can always hope.

Old November 26th 03, 11:10 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.home-networking
Ian

"ff" wrote in message
Here is what I was expecting (pdf file)
http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk/ORIGO/WLL-1600.pdf
here is what I recieved (with the changed picture)
http://tinyurl.com/vve0
web page gives part no wll-1600 but invoice shows part wll-2200.

Ebuyer now show "Wireless 22Mbps PCMCIA Card" for part WLL-2200

I noticed that, nothing seems to quite add up on this order, but I
have sent them an enote pointing to
http://www.dreva.freeserve.co.uk/ebuyer/ebuyer.pdf
which is the origional order page but I have a nasty suspicion they
will have some clause hidden in terms and conditions saying pictures
don't count and information in reviews is nothing to do with us. Then
I will have to decide if losing two sets of shipping costs makes it
worth using the dsa. Ah well I can always hope.

I've given up returning low value items to most online vendors - if it works
you maybe better off selling on ebay - I've even made a profit on some
items!

Old November 27th 03, 11:02 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.home-networking
ff

I've given up returning low value items to most online vendors - if it works
you maybe better off selling on ebay - I've even made a profit on some
items!

Thought of that, if it was the type I'd ordered maybe but the for the
pen type I recieved you are lucky to get twenty pounds as no one wants
them, just as I didn't.

Old November 28th 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.home-networking
ff

Well not alone judging by the below review which has just been posted.
I'll give my enote to the end of the day which will be over 48hrs and
then just sign up the rma thingy.

Absolute rubbish Wed 26th November 2003 06:08m
review by:K MORRIS

OS:Windows XP This has to the worst usb wireless devices i have ever
seen, I currenly have 5 laptops all connected via different wireless
devices, I have another laptop which i wanted to network along with
the others, so i ordered this product (although originally the device
i ordered was a corded usb wireless device so dont know why i received
this) anyway thought i would try it, the build quality is awful even
considering the price, I had no trouble connecting it up to Windows Xp
but the actually signal was rubbish, barely above 40% and continuously
dropping out, impossible to browse the internet with it and file
transfer even the smallest of files was a joke.The only time i could
get a good signal is if i was within 6 feet of the access point which
defeats the object. This device is not worth the time or money, mine
is going back first post tomorrow.