Need Help Please

Old November 25th 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pete

Default Need Help Please

Hi - I am attempting to connect a lappy and PC together. Both have the
correct hardware fitted and working [indicated as such by windowze]. On
each - in Network - I see the the PC. Unable to Map Network. I think I
have all the settings ok but clearly not. Anyone give me a list of items
to check pse?

Thanks

Old November 26th 03, 08:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:18:38 +0000, Pete wrote:

Hi - I am attempting to connect a lappy and PC together. Both have the
correct hardware fitted and working [indicated as such by windowze]. On
each - in Network - I see the the PC. Unable to Map Network. I think I
have all the settings ok but clearly not. Anyone give me a list of items
to check pse?

Thanks

Yoy need to create the same accounts on each machine. If you log on to the
laptop as 'pete' you need to create a 'pete' account on the PC. There are
other workrounds but this is the simpleist way to do it.

graham

Old November 26th 03, 01:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
net

"Pete" wrote in message
t...
Hi - I am attempting to connect a lappy and PC together. Both have the
correct hardware fitted and working [indicated as such by windowze]. On
each - in Network - I see the the PC. Unable to Map Network. I think I
have all the settings ok but clearly not. Anyone give me a list of items
to check pse?

Thanks

you need to enable file sharing in network properties?...

Old November 27th 03, 01:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:07:15 -0000, Pete
wrote:

In article ,
wrote
Pete wrote:
In article , wrote

"Pete" wrote in message
t...
Hi - I am attempting to connect a lappy and PC together. Both have the
correct hardware fitted and working [indicated as such by windowze]. On
each - in Network - I see the the PC. Unable to Map Network. I think I
have all the settings ok but clearly not. Anyone give me a list of items
to check pse?

you need to enable file sharing in network properties?...

Done all that on both PC's just still unable to Map

I presume you've actually shared some resources. What OSs are you using?

98SE File & Printer Shares. So far as I can see I have all the
software settings correct but when it comes to Map it just dont work.
I am beginning to suspect the damn cable. Which will **** me off since
It is NEW.

Pete

I assume you have actually shared resources as IIRC 98SE doesn't show
unless a resource is shared.

How about the IP address and workgroup? It is usually a doddle if the
workgroup is the same and the IP addresses/subnet masks are the on the
same sub-domain. Also, do you have dial-up set to "dial if no network
connection is present"?

One final thought - are you using any controls (family logon/share
passwords)? Again, it is easier but not essential if the "user" is
known to both machines.

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.