What WAP and W/PCMCIA card for my DSL SoHo?

Old November 25th 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

Default What WAP and W/PCMCIA card for my DSL SoHo?

I have a 3 station network, plus a laptop.

I would like to add a WAP to the wired network so i can use the laptop
anywhere in the house i choose.

I have a Draytek 2600 DSL modem/router into which i will plug the WAP.
Of course, the PCMCIA will go in the laptop g

I'm not that bothered about speed, as it's only for internet
browsing/network use on the laptop, and i think 11Mbps will be
sufficient for me.

But, there are a hundred and one different types of wireless kit out
there!!

Which manufacturer is a safe bet, and any recommendations of
models/special offers et al?

I'm happy to buy Ebay as well if anyone sees a good deal.
Old November 25th 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"Tx2" wrote in message
I have a 3 station network, plus a laptop.

I would like to add a WAP to the wired network so i can use the laptop
anywhere in the house i choose.

I have a Draytek 2600 DSL modem/router into which i will plug the WAP.
Of course, the PCMCIA will go in the laptop g

I'm not that bothered about speed, as it's only for internet
browsing/network use on the laptop, and i think 11Mbps will be
sufficient for me.

But, there are a hundred and one different types of wireless kit out
there!!

Which manufacturer is a safe bet, and any recommendations of
models/special offers et al?

I'm happy to buy Ebay as well if anyone sees a good deal.

Well, they're all "supposed" to be compatable (between makes) and backwardly
compatable (between standards) but my advice would be to stick with whoever
manufactured your router for the additional WAP stuff. At least that way -
if the WAP stuff doesn't work - you've only one manufacturer to moan at, and
will avoid the "its not *OUR* equipment, it must be *THEIR'S*" senario.

HTH
Paul

---

Old November 27th 03, 08:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jay

Just bought a 802.11b Belkin WAP and PC card for 80 from PC World and
they are working lovely.

jay