Linksys 802.11g Network Router

Old November 25th 03, 11:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vince

Default Linksys 802.11g Network Router

Networks... They're worse than printers to troubleshoot!

Having (apparently) successfully connected the router to this PC
(running XP home), I can share the Internet connection with my other
PC (also running XP home) but not my PC resources.

Both PCs have matching set ups, as far as I can see.
The other PC can ping this one but not vice versa.

The other PC has a wireless PCI card which I can see in its hardware
manager. It knows about the wireless network an receives a network
signal at 4/5 strength.

What indication should I be able to see on this PC (which has an
eithernet line connection to the wireless router) to say that it knows
it is connected to a wireless network and how well that wireless
network is functioning?

Drilling down through "my network places" and clicking on the
workgroup I have set up on this PC eventually returns the singularly
unhelpful standard message.: "WORKGROUP is not accessable. You
might not have permission to use this workgroup. Contact the
administrator (sic) of this server to find out if you have access
permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently
available."

After setting up a workgroup, I see the folling items in my Control
Panel/Network connections:
"Local Area Connection" Enabled, shared, firewalled.
"Network Bridge" Enabled
"1394 Connection" Enabled, Bridged.

I thought 1394 = Firewire. Why has it been dragged into my network
set up (via a bridge)?

A few clues for a would-be wireless worker would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince.
Old November 29th 03, 09:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vince

(Vince) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Three days later (two weeks after installing the network) I finally
think I've cracked it.

Someone on another forum (microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web)
mentioned using the dos command "ipconfig /all" to get a convenient
listing of the PC's current network settings. That proved very
useful.
Someone else on that forum mentioned shutting down all the firewalls
before diagnosing network problems. I've done that and everything now
appears to be working.

Having gotten my network working, I need to reapply one or more
firewalls. There seem to be so many to choose from.

PC with router and DSL modem:
Windows XP built-in firewall,
Norton firewall,
hardware firewall (I assume the router and/or modem may have one).

Other Networked PC:
Windows built-in firewall,
Norton firewall,
hardware firewall (I assume the PCI wireless adapter doesn't have
one).

Question: Which firewalls should I now set up?

Vince.