Bandwidth

Old November 25th 03, 03:20 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

Default Bandwidth

I am running a 4 PC network (xp pro) with a central file server.
All access the internet via a ADSL router which is stand alone.

I have a 2mbit Internet connection and I would like to share the
bandwidth evenly between the workstations and server. so in effect
each PC gets a 512kbps connection. At the moment if someone
downloads a large file it hogs the Internet connection, slowing
all the others down.

Is there a bit of software that will allow me to do this, preferably
some software that is centralised, but not too fussed if it is not.

Old November 26th 03, 05:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

There is a piece of software called "Get Right," shareware, that allows you
when placed on each machine to regulate the downloading speed individually.
Must be set from each machine. It is like an IE plug-in that is activated
when you download from a site if you are using IE. It doesn't intervene
when viewing regular web pages, but then that downloading is normally
intermittent and speed is less important.

"Derek" wrote in message
I am running a 4 PC network (xp pro) with a central file server.
All access the internet via a ADSL router which is stand alone.

I have a 2mbit Internet connection and I would like to share the
bandwidth evenly between the workstations and server. so in effect
each PC gets a 512kbps connection. At the moment if someone
downloads a large file it hogs the Internet connection, slowing
all the others down.

Is there a bit of software that will allow me to do this, preferably
some software that is centralised, but not too fussed if it is not.

Old November 26th 03, 05:24 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , says...
I am running a 4 PC network (xp pro) with a central file server.
All access the internet via a ADSL router which is stand alone.

I have a 2mbit Internet connection and I would like to share the
bandwidth evenly between the workstations and server. so in effect
each PC gets a 512kbps connection. At the moment if someone
downloads a large file it hogs the Internet connection, slowing
all the others down.

Is there a bit of software that will allow me to do this, preferably
some software that is centralised, but not too fussed if it is not.

Linux. Traffic shaping is built in.

--
Conor

Hi. This is my friend, Jack ****, and you don't know him.
Old November 26th 03, 06:13 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Skylar Thompson

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:20:42 -0000, Derek wrote:
I am running a 4 PC network (xp pro) with a central file server.
All access the internet via a ADSL router which is stand alone.

I have a 2mbit Internet connection and I would like to share the
bandwidth evenly between the workstations and server. so in effect
each PC gets a 512kbps connection. At the moment if someone
downloads a large file it hogs the Internet connection, slowing
all the others down.

Is there a bit of software that will allow me to do this, preferably
some software that is centralised, but not too fussed if it is not.

As far as the router is concerned, probably not. Short of sticking in
something like a Packeteer PacketShaper between your machines and your
router, your current setup can't doing anything completely in hardware.

The best solution I can think of is putting a *BSD/Linux machine and
setting it up as a transparent bridge between your machines and the router.
Then configure rules as you see fit. The beauty of a transparent bridge is
that none of the machines can access it via the network; its sole function
is to pass packets, and not one even gets up to Layer 7 (hence
"transparent"). This makes it a highly secure solution.

--
-- Skylar Thompson )
-- http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/