Linksys Cable/DSL Router

Old November 26th 03, 11:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stoneskin

Default Linksys Cable/DSL Router

Setting up my home net I bought a Linksys router (BEFSR81 v2) to connect
my PCs with my cable internet. But when I plug my home PC into it the
connection will keep dropping and reconnecting. Running a continuous
ping to the router from the PC I can see it will reply sometimes but not
others.

I've checked the cabling, my PC's IP settings to no avail. Connecting
the router to other network devices (I've tried my work PC, my laptop
and my XBox) and all get a good connection but my home PC just won't
play ball.

I would write this off as a faulty network card yet this is the same
network card that when I plug it directly into my cable modem it works
flawlessly - no dropouts whatsoever.

Is it possible for a netowork card to act up depending on what source
you connect it to? Or could it be some hidden 'feature' of Windows XP
Pro?

Any help appreciated.
--

Stoneskin

[Insert sig here]
Old December 1st 03, 11:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stoneskin

doobr1e left a note on my windscreen which said:

hmmm ... ive got a new linksys g-wireless cable/dsl router

have 2 pc's also on cat5 to it, i was sitting at the 1 system using it
and noticed the the cable connection drop and the pick up (w2k intel
100/pro ve network card) - i checked the logs and seemed to have
happened a few times ... i changed the cable and havent noticed it since
but must admit ive not been using it much and have been turning the
system off whereas before id leave it on so wouldnt notice it as much
then

hoepfully this isnt one of those 'features' ... i'll have to leave the
system on for a few days and check the logs

Well, I've replaced the Linksys router with a Wireless-B version and the
one with the 'fault' seems to be fine on the other network. I've
changed the card in the offending PC and it seems to be fine with the
Wireless one. I should of tested the Wireless one with the old network
card I guess but at least it's all working fine now.
--

Stoneskin

[Insert sig here]