Two compouters on one CAT5 - will it work ?

Old November 26th 03, 02:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vic

Default Two compouters on one CAT5 - will it work ?

I need to put two computers in one room and want them both connected to the rest
of my home network. Unfortunately there is only one CAT5 running to that room
from the hub/switch (located elsewhere), and it would be a major effort to put
in a second one.

Can I wire up two RJ45 sockets to the same cable, i.e. using 2 pairs for one
socket and 2 pairs for the other (since there are normally 2 unused pairs in the
cable) ? Will this work and has anyone tried it ?

Would a better solution be to get a cheap 2 or 4 way hub in the room and then
link that via the single CAT5 to the main hub?switch ?

Any suggestions / opinions ?

Vic

Old November 26th 03, 02:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Vic wrote:
I need to put two computers in one room and want them both connected to the rest
of my home network. Unfortunately there is only one CAT5 running to that room
from the hub/switch (located elsewhere), and it would be a major effort to put
in a second one.

Can I wire up two RJ45 sockets to the same cable, i.e. using 2 pairs for one
socket and 2 pairs for the other (since there are normally 2 unused pairs in the
cable) ? Will this work ?

No

Would a better solution be to get a cheap 2 or 4 way hub in the room and then
link that via the single CAT5 to the main hub?switch ?

Yes

Any suggestions / opinions ?

You might be able to wire two connectors at each end of the existing
cable - 10/100BaseT only uses four of the eight conductors, but it's a
bit of a bodge and would quite likely result in reduced speed.
Old November 26th 03, 04:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Miller

"Vic" wrote in message
I need to put two computers in one room and want them both connected to

the rest
of my home network. Unfortunately there is only one CAT5 running to that

room
from the hub/switch (located elsewhere), and it would be a major effort to

put
in a second one.

Can I wire up two RJ45 sockets to the same cable, i.e. using 2 pairs for

one
socket and 2 pairs for the other (since there are normally 2 unused pairs

in the
cable) ? Will this work and has anyone tried it ?

Would a better solution be to get a cheap 2 or 4 way hub in the room and

then
link that via the single CAT5 to the main hub?switch ?

Any suggestions / opinions ?

Buy a small 4 port switch - about £30 max

I.

Old November 26th 03, 04:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 26 Nov
2003 14:19:27 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Vic"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Can I wire up two RJ45 sockets to the same cable, i.e. using 2 pairs for one
socket and 2 pairs for the other (since there are normally 2 unused pairs in the
cable) ? Will this work and has anyone tried it ?

Yes, I have and it works pretty well. In fact, you can even buy splitters to
do it - plug one in at each end.

Would a better solution be to get a cheap 2 or 4 way hub in the room and then
link that via the single CAT5 to the main hub?switch ?

Yes. The other method is a bit of a bodge job, and although it works well I
wouldn't expect full data transfer speed.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk
Old November 26th 03, 05:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:54:03 -0000, Kenchie wrote:

I put it to you, Vic, that on Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:19:27 -0000 you did
state the following; ,
says...
I need to put two computers in one room and want them both connected to the rest
of my home network. Unfortunately there is only one CAT5 running to that room
from the hub/switch (located elsewhere), and it would be a major effort to put
in a second one.

snip

Any suggestions / opinions ?

Vic

A mini-hub should do the job.

If you trust ebuyer, you caan buy a UTP "economizer" which does what
you want. I have tried the scheme and it seems to work at nominal
speeds (the twisted pairs reduce crosstalk)

Old November 26th 03, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Rob Morley wrote:
Vic wrote:
I need to put two computers in one room and want them both connected to the rest
of my home network. Unfortunately there is only one CAT5 running to that room
from the hub/switch (located elsewhere), and it would be a major effort to put
in a second one.

Can I wire up two RJ45 sockets to the same cable, i.e. using 2 pairs for one
socket and 2 pairs for the other (since there are normally 2 unused pairs in the
cable) ? Will this work ?

No

Okay - didn't read the question properly, as you can see from the last
bit below :-(

Old November 27th 03, 04:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Petri Krohn

"Rob Morley" kirjoitti viestissä
.com...

Can I wire up two RJ45 sockets to the same cable, i.e. using 2 pairs for

one
socket and 2 pairs for the other (since there are normally 2 unused

pairs in the
cable) ? Will this work ?

No
You might be able to wire two connectors at each end of the existing
cable - 10/100BaseT only uses four of the eight conductors, but it's a
bit of a bodge and would quite likely result in reduced speed.

I totally disagree!
There is no harm in running two 100Base-TX connections simultaneously over
one Cat-5 cable.

It certainly will not result in reduced speed. Ethernet has no way of
adjusting speed if the connection is poor. It will either work, or it will
not.
In case you were running Ethernet over poor quality wire, Cat-3 or normal
telephone wire, you should manualy set all 100Mbps devices to the lower
speed of 10Mbps. If the devices both support 100Mbps they will autonegotiate
the higher speed of 100Mbps but possibly fail to communicate at all on this
higher speed. If your cable is true Cat-5 and the distance under 100 m there
should be no reasion to use the reduced speed.

Would a better solution be to get a cheap 2 or 4 way hub in the room and

then
link that via the single CAT5 to the main hub?switch ?

Yes

100Mbps switches are cheap, about 30 euros. They do have bulky power
supplies though. I would try to avoid one.

--
Petri Krohn
petri. krohn [email protected] iki. FI(nland)

Old November 27th 03, 11:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Petri Krohn wrote:
"Rob Morley" kirjoitti viestissä
.com...

Can I wire up two RJ45 sockets to the same cable, i.e. using 2 pairs for

one
socket and 2 pairs for the other (since there are normally 2 unused

pairs in the
cable) ? Will this work ?

No
You might be able to wire two connectors at each end of the existing
cable - 10/100BaseT only uses four of the eight conductors, but it's a
bit of a bodge and would quite likely result in reduced speed.

I totally disagree!
There is no harm in running two 100Base-TX connections simultaneously over
one Cat-5 cable.

Fair enough - I was only speaking from what I've read rather than
personal experience :-)

It certainly will not result in reduced speed. Ethernet has no way of
adjusting speed if the connection is poor. It will either work, or it will
not.

Except that cross-talk (if it occurs) may result in packet corruption and
resends, thus slowing throughput.

Old November 27th 03, 11:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris O

Default Two computers on one CAT5 - will it work ?

The cable economiser is a perfectly valid way to do it.
www.betterbox.com in the UK do them at about £6 each (you need one at each
end of course) - product code is CS100Y. There may be other cheaper sources.
They are certified for 100Base-T use and I've used them successfully.
As other posters say, a hub may not be much more expensive and would support
more than 1 extra user - but it's another device requiring power

Chris O
__________________________________________________ __________-
wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:54:03 -0000, Kenchie wrote:

I put it to you, Vic, that on Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:19:27 -0000 you did
state the following; ,
says...
I need to put two computers in one room and want them both connected to

the rest
of my home network. Unfortunately there is only one CAT5 running to

that room
from the hub/switch (located elsewhere), and it would be a major effort

to put
in a second one.

snip

Any suggestions / opinions ?

Vic

A mini-hub should do the job.

If you trust ebuyer, you caan buy a UTP "economizer" which does what
you want. I have tried the scheme and it seems to work at nominal
speeds (the twisted pairs reduce crosstalk)

---