Mac Ibook to share XP ICS connection

Old November 28th 03, 12:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex

Default Mac Ibook to share XP ICS connection

Hello

Setup:

1) XP PRO box dialup via adsl PCI modem + Wireless Belkin PCI card.
2) Ibook G4 with Airport card.

I am trying to have 2) share 1)'s ADLS connection to no avail. Tried
basic wizard of creating an ICS connection and tried setting up the
airport card via DHCP and manually (with the suggested configurations of
the problem solver) but had no luck.

I am pretty sure one can do that but how?

Any help much appreciated.

Alex

Old November 28th 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:26:20 +0000, Alex
wrote:

Hello

Setup:

1) XP PRO box dialup via adsl PCI modem + Wireless Belkin PCI card.
2) Ibook G4 with Airport card.

I am trying to have 2) share 1)'s ADLS connection to no avail. Tried
basic wizard of creating an ICS connection and tried setting up the
airport card via DHCP and manually (with the suggested configurations of
the problem solver) but had no luck.

I am pretty sure one can do that but how?

I'm no Mac expert.

If you have ICS running on your PC, then it should simply be a case of
pointing your Mac's network gateway settings to the IP address of the
PC.

You have lots of possible fuzz in there because of all the settings of
the wireless. For example, does Airport work in ad-hoc mode like the
Belkin?

Do both computers have ordinary ethernet ports? Or can you borrow a
couple of USB ehternet adaptors for test purposes?

This and a cross-over cable would let you get the settings working and
remove the risk that wireless problems are intervening. Then add in
the wireless and see if it still works.

jay
Old November 30th 03, 02:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex

Thanks Jay.

Unfortunately with Macs it's a bit of a nightmare. More infos below in
case you or others can contribute:

Ibook: Airport:
Create network ch 11.
All manual: 192.168.0.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
No appletalk, no wep.

XP:
Under Network connctions tab:

1) Dial-up:
DSL (Shared), IP automatically assigned.

2) LAN or High Speed Internet:
Wireless connection.
Under TCP/IP/General, I use: "Use IP addresses): 192.168.0.1,
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, all rest is blank. (I am not using "Use
Windows to configure my network settings).

3) Network bridge
Network bridge.

This is disabled and says network cable unplugged. (I do not understand
this as I do not have another lan: only the pci dial-up adsl modem and
the wireless card!).

Now: For some reason now it does see the MAC network and I can log on OK.

Now let's forget about internet sharing for a moment I would expect to
be able to ping the mac from the xp box by running a shell and doing

ping 192.168.0.2

But it says host unreachable.

I am using ZA Pro but I have added 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 in the
trusted zones.

Incidentally I did try by running a proxy on XP and setting the proxy
settings under the ibook to 192.168.0.1 but nothing.

Many thanks for any help!

Regards

Alex